• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good day afield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMGP0001.jpg

Finally got out on a duck hunt with my 11 ga flinter. 90 gr.2F, 2 over powder cards, paper shotcup filled with 2 oz #4 bismuth, over shot card. Gun has a jug choke installed by me using a brake hone.

Awesome job! Congrats on the hunt..Nice looking smoothe too! WOW a 2 oz. load? That's a wall of shot! Thanks for sharing!

Nice looking gun and thanks for posting. It obviously does it's job.

Gun has a jug choke installed by me using a brake hone.
I was wondering about that. Can you give details on your technique? Thanks!

Nice looking fowler. :thumbsup:
I bet she kicks a little throwin' that much shot. Grats on the successful hunt. :hatsoff:

Flintlock58 said:
Finally got out on a duck hunt with my 11 ga flinter. 90 gr.2F, 2 over powder cards, paper shotcup filled with 2 oz #4 bismuth, over shot card. Gun has a jug choke installed by me using a brake hone.
Good hunting, excellent job !
:hatsoff:

And glad to see your shot to powder ratio...IMHO, far too many people approach ML smoothbores with severe limitations for hunting loads, using shot charges typically found in modern shotgun shells, which are limited by their physical size.
I don't happen to follow those pre-set conditions either believing that they don't apply, not when we're constructing each load into an open bore instead of a little fixed volume plastic shell...like the old saying: "load powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead".

Whats the barrel length of your smoothbore?

wow! 2oz is a bit heavy for ducks, i'd use more on the 1 1/2oz side and 90gr 2F. better velocity on the payload for wing shooting. personally i'd save the heavy loads for turkey. but you got ducks so way to go!

I went online including this site to look at all the info I could including techniques. Then I had to find a hone that would fit the barrel and a way to try to mic my progress which turned out to be a crude method. Some meticulous measuring and marking and away I went! You can PM me if you want. This was my first and so far only time but it very much improved my patterns.

Not really much kick at all! using only the card wads and paper shotcup even with two ounces is very manageable. I tried other felt wad and heavy card wad loads which did kick a little and also made for inconsistent patterns. I think that was due to the thicker wads blowing thru the shot. ( didnt use the paper shot cup then)

I very much agree. I burnt up plenty of powder, wadding, cups and shot learning that the heavy loads shoot best for me in this gun . my barrel length is 42 inches.

Back