• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

good news on bore butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I harvested a forkhorn buck with a remington hollow base conical 400 grain, 80 grains of 3f, filled the base with bore butter. The shot was throught he front of the chest on a slight angle. THe bullet entered throughthe chest, exited about even wht the liver since the lungs and liver looked like pate when I field dressed him. The bore butter was totally intacted in the bottom of the slug I did use a wonder wad as well. The expansion was good about similar to a deer slug. He piled up in about 50 or 60 yards had to drag him down the gulley to the road and found a huge scrape. Going back out now good luck all

good one ha ha it keeps the wonder wad from becoming a convex wonder wad in theory I guess, I did lube the bullet. On the patch thing I guess I never thought about that but I just soak mine in bore butter and alternate them dry butter dry butter then they are heated and viola patches. I am hoping to find a good bullet lube recipe that is similar to bore butter. It is getting expensive to order stuff and hard to find around here.

buttonbuck said:
good one ha ha it keeps the wonder wad from becoming a convex wonder wad in theory I guess, I did lube the bullet. On the patch thing I guess I never thought about that but I just soak mine in bore butter and alternate them dry butter dry butter then they are heated and viola patches. I am hoping to find a good bullet lube recipe that is similar to bore butter. It is getting expensive to order stuff and hard to find around here.
Congratulations on your buck!

Just to add a comment about the wonderwads and concave bases of conicals...suspect that's an old wives tale...if there was anything to it the conical manufacturers would warn off using wonderwads as they would not want their bullets to get a bad rep for accuracy. And if there was anything to the notion that they would be forced into the cavity, that action itself would simply squeeze the NL1000 out of the cavity.

I used wonderwads many times with Hornady Great Plains bullets and accuracy was always outstanding.

Those remingtons I used got them on clearance at wallmart for a buck a box, got 5 gave 2 to a friend, are nearly identical in shape to the hornady great plains bullets only they 400 grains and I think Hornady are in 385 and 425, The loading data I got with the hornadys I still have works great with the tc renegade in 54 cal when I used to shoot 2f now I just use 3f and reduce by 15%. What you are saying stands to reason since I think it is you or rebel who uses 2 wads and an unpatched ball in a smoothbore with great results.

buttonbuck said:
"...I think it is you or rebel who uses 2 wads and an unpatched ball in a smoothbore with great results..."

Must be Rebel as I use patches...

The base being filled with BB or another lube is supposed to aid in the expansion of the skirt into the rifling. Problem with that is the temp stiffness of the lube used. It works fine at 60 degrees, but at 20 degrees in the woods, they shoot to a different point. It isn't there to lube the barrel!

"I am hoping to find a good bullet lube recipe that is similar to bore butter. It is getting expensive to order stuff and hard to find around here."

Try a blend of deer tallow and olive oil. Half and half produces a lube that's just a bit softer than vaseline at room temp, but turns almost instantly to oil with the warmth of your fingers. I'm next going to try 2:1 tallow to produce something a little stiffer. It may be a little more convenient and less messy for warm weather, but for now I'm convinced I found the right mix for cold weather.

Try SPG lube. It was developed by Steve Garbe for BP cartridge guns, and works well with both them, and with conicals in MLs.

Never heard anything like that at all...and to be honest it doesn't make any sense to me...if the great Hornady corportion thought their GP bullets needed their bases packed with bore butter to perform better they would have made them that way, or included that in their instructions.

When I used Hornady Great Plains bullets in .45 and .50cal...AND...I used Oxyoke wonderwads under them...if they'd have been any more accurate I wouldn't have known what to do...excellent, accutate bullets right out of the box...no 'skirt packing" needed :wink:

Who said anything about Hornady Roundball?
The practice is old, but I don't know where it started, and I really don't care. The guys at the old place played with the idea in various minnies all summer about 10 years back. If I remember correctly, rattus uses the method on a regular basis in his Civil War era guns. The theory is that it causes a hydraulic action that forces the skirts more firmly into the rifling. It is credited with having made more than one so so minnie shooter into a tack driver with the same bullet. It is just another tool in the arsenal when looking for accuracy with minnies. I am shocked that you never heard of it before! If I was going to try to get a problem minnie to shoot better out of a specific gun that was having problems with it, that is the first step I would take. Even before adding a wad.

I had read about this practice last fall on the forum did it last year and it did a number on a buck but had a slow fire this practice may be why since, I brought my gun back in the house powder may have gotten contaminated from the bore butter? I have my bullets loaded like this for the season in ready loaded capsules. If I have one or two left I will compare them at 30 yards and let ya know this is how far I can shoot in the dense timber. I shot one Friday to unload my ml at the end of the day gun as I now do. In this case I had taken a deer with a handgun, and did not need my ml. It hit right where I intended.

I would think the compression factor of bore butter, like most liquids is near zero.

Any pressure you put on the Bore butter would be displaced equally on all areas of the hollow bullet base, causing the cavity to expand and help seal the bore.

If you had just a wad behind the mini you create a cushion that probably inhibits expansion of the cavity.

Whole thing sounds interesting and probably deserves a little experimenting.

Probably need to compare accuracy with:

Mini plain
Mini with lube filled cavity
Mini with soft wad under it
Mini with hard wad (over powder wad)under it
Mini with lube filled cavity with over shot card under it (I would guess this to be the most accurate)

I don't have anything with a fast enough twist to do the test with or I would.

Roundball- This sounds right up your alley.

Leo

cptleo said:
Whole thing sounds interesting and probably deserves a little experimenting.
The whole thing sounds like it's a solution in search of a problem, IMHO of course
:grin:

If I ever use a big hollow base conical it will be a Hornday Great Plains bullet and I'll just accept the outstanding performance that they provide just the way they are manufactured and intended to be used
:wink:

The problem is temperature when fired. BB is way too liquid for that use in anything above 80 degrees or so. Beeswax and other mixtures have been used. Take the gun out when the weather is zero or below, and anything stiff enough to stay in them at 70 will be like a rock. The area specific weather needs make what works one place completely wrong in others.

Back