• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goode public land hunt for antelopoe in Colorado

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev_William

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have decided to try Antelope with a muzzle loader, but not knowing any land owners, was wondering if there were any good public spots to put in for? I have my eye on a .40 flint but also looking at a .54 cal rifle.

pronghorn.jpg

Pronghorn taken with my .54 late lancaster three years ago. Pawnee grasslands.THere are also the comanche grasslands in the southeast corner of the state.

Was there much pressure in these area's during BP season? Or did you get your goat during gun season?

Nice Mike thanks for the response. I got tired waiting for friends to finalize plans and missing the drawing submission dates lol.

better find a conical mold for that 40cal because our laws state a minimum of 170 grains to be legal. 54cal or large has to be a minimum of 210 grains.

Kentuckywindage said:
54cal or large has to be a minimum of 210 grains.

I guess that part of the law should be easy to abide by since a lead roundball of that caliber weighs more than that! Seems silly that there is a second minimim based on larger calibers. Are people going to shoot a 1/2 a roundball in a .54 or larger? Maybe a "cotton" roundball??? :idunno:

KW sorta abbreviates the way the law reads. Here is the way the reg is written.

Deer, antelope and bear is min .40 cal.

Elk and moose is min .50 cal.

From .40 to .50 cal bullets must weigh a min of 170 grains.

If greater than .50 cal, bullets must weigh a min of 210 grains.

So, you see, the 210 grain weight is to accomadate calibers between .50 and .54.

In any case, if you want to hunt big game in CO with round ball you need a min .50 caliber.

There is plenty of public land in CO with good antelope hunting available. Usually on BLM land and like Mike Brines said, on the National Grasslands. If you want to hunt a buck, then your best chance is to draw for an ml tag. You will need to build some preference points to draw a buck tag for CF rifle season (ml is acceptable).

All rifle and ml antelope tags are by the draw and need to be in by First week of April. You need to brush up on your statistical analysis to figure out your odds for any given unit. :haha:

I killed this one during ml season, on private property. Don't be embarrassed to ask permission, I went to four different ranches, a couple before season, and some during season. I wasn't turned down once. The ranch where I killed this buck is under new ownership, so time will tell.
The rifle season is first, (doesn't make any sense to me but with suppository guns shooting out to 200 yards), so the goats are real skittish. They'll stand out in the open within rifle range until you stop your truck-then they're gone.

Back