• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine named Richard who is also a member of the same black powder rifle club as I am told me about a hand cleaner called Goop. That's it, just Goop. He said it cleaned out his rifle better than anything he'd tried. In fact, fastidious as he is about cleaning he said he was absolutely dumbfounded by the amount of rust he pulled out of his rifle using this product.

So I thought I'd give it a try myself. And yes, it does work quite well. No water is necessary. I just put a dollop on a cleaning patch and proceeded to push the patch down the bore. I'm not too worried about it stripping the seasoning out of the bore. I'll be looking for any ill effects, rust, etc. in a day or two.

I found it at my local farm supply store. Anybody else ever tried this? What were your results?
Cruzatte

I have never used Goop to clean my rifle nor do I know anyone who has. It may just work since it is a great grease, oil and dirt cutter. However, there are two things to keep in mind. First thing, you cannot "season" a bore, Much has been said about that here on the forum. So, removing the seasoning is a non-issue. However, Goop will remove grease and oil and could leave your bore open to rust formation unless you wipe out all of the Goop and then swab your bore with a rust preventive product.

They also sell a fabric glue named GOOP it comes in a purple tube. I use it to repair anything cloth. Clothes and tents. Don't get the two mixed up!

In my youth my dad always had a huge tub of Goop which we all used to clean our hands after we had been working in the garage. That stuff takes axle grease and other crud off your skin like nothing else I've encountered. Never thought to use it on our guns though.

I haven't seen it for sale in my area in a long time, in fact I thought maybe the company went out of business. Now that your post has jogged my memory of it I'm going to search out another tub of that stuff.

It is just another form of hand cleaner like the "Go Jo" that many use for cleaning guns and as a patch lube. Just avoid the type with pumice in it! :idunno:

ohio ramrod said:
It is just another form of hand cleaner like the "Go Jo" that many use for cleaning guns and as a patch lube. Just avoid the type with pumice in it! :idunno:

:thumbsup: yup I use gojo.for cleaning.white original formula..not orange!
but, with gojo..i use water After I swab barrel good with gojo..rinse,dry..an oil/wd40/lube..whatever you do to stop rust..

In my neck of the woods, Goop can be found in the supermarket in the laundry supply and sometimes handsoap aisles. Never tried it as a patch lube or bore cleaner, but use it on my clothes to pretreat stains. However, your post begs the question, why is there rust in your bbl. in the first place?

"I'm not too worried about it stripping the seasoning out of the bore".

If there is anything in your bore You better scrub it out or you'll end up with rust. This is one myth that just will not die! It has ruined lots of bores, too.

Can't say I've used it to clean with, but it sure works well for a patch lube! Found that after arriving at the range with none of my other lubes.
Seemed to help keep the fouling down as well.
Just my $.02 worth.
Ed

It works pretty well for dissolving the build up of crud and carbon in the bore but you do have to rinse then lube the barrel when done Jim.

I wonder if using some Go Jo with pumice as a patch lube for a few shots from a new barrel would polish it and remove any burrs from the rifling process. Sort of a form of fire lapping. Not planning on doing it,just wondering. :confused: Any ideas?

Just a guess but Im gonna say the pumice is WAY to coarse a grit for that. It would more than likely ruin the barrel in my rather uneducated opinion..

Billnpatti,

I think if I was going to try such a thing I would start with something milder like lapping compound.

Pumice in the bore.... :shake: You can always try rubbing some on the outside of your barrel first and tell us all about the results you get :grin:

Enjoy, J.D.

hanshi said:
"I'm not too worried about it stripping the seasoning out of the bore".

If there is anything in your bore You better scrub it out or you'll end up with rust. This is one myth that just will not die! It has ruined lots of bores, too.

I haven't exactly been the best at keeping up on the latest. Been kinda busy as my few posts on the forum can attest.
Cruzatte

Back