• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

got a squirrel gun!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duke21

40 Cal.
Reaction score
a few weeks ago, i posted on here was looking for a 32 or 36 percussion gun for squirrels and rabbits. I really beat myself up trying to find the right gun. Just had to go to a local gun show sunday and as usual wasnt much selection on the muzzleloaders. found a few 50's a couple 45's and 54's but nothing small. was going down an isle looking at ruger single action revolvers and in the corner of my eye saw another percussion gun on a table. turned around and looked right at a 32 cal CVA "squirrel " gun. very clean , not much visible use. Guy just wanted to part with it, didnt hunt much anymore. brought her home for about 2/3 of new. later found out this guys dad used to work for my old employeer way before i did and exchanged some good stories. got invited to a squirrel hunting party next year, and then to the sellers house last night. he cleaned out his 32 cal stuff and gave me about 400 hornaday balls, a couple hundred patches, nipple tool and a near full container of pyrodex rs, not to mention some more good company and stories. i have got to find a ball starter, a patch puller, a jag and the ball extractor. Of which nobody around here has, i may go buy the 50 cal counterparts and reduce the diameter of the pieces to fit. any suggestions on a load and type of powder to use. from hodgens website ,it sounds like the rs is good for the larger bore rifles. I used some earlier and it seems to ignite a little slow? also to measure with , all i have is a brown plastic "Charge Master" does anyone know the increments of grains that the lines actually represent.

thanks for your help,

duke21

p.s. now need to get that 36 cal revolver and will have a blast !!!

20-30 grs of Goex 3f or Pyrodex P is a good start. RMC Sports carries the patch puller, ball puller and starters in .32 cal.

Hello from GE,

as a starting load I would use 35 grs FFFg and a patched round ball.If necessary go up in steps of 5 grs.

i have a CVA .32cal squirrel rifle my grandmother gave me for my 18th birthday 25 years ago,still shoots great with a .310 ball in front of 20grs of FFF,

You only need a small measure as I only shoot 20grs in mine. I made mine out out of a little piece of cow horn, the tip. I make my ball starters out of a hickory limb, I just cut a limb that the one end is biger then the barrel and trim down till the other end goes down barrel, make a flat spot on big end a little from end, you use this to put on top of ball, give it a wack, turn on round side,wack take small end and shove down ball, finish with the ramrod. I make a leather holder to put on bag strap. Made them for all my guns 32to 54. Lot easier to carry then those big round ball things. I bought mine at flea market for 115.00 Killed lot of small game with it. They made a flintlock too. Mine is 32. Dilly

guys,

i went to the CVA website, i could not find anything that would allow me to download a manual. am i overlooking it somewhere?

duke21

thanks for all the feedback. you guys are great help. it seems to me that about 20 grains is the average starting spot here and go from there. also i noticed most of you recommending fff on the powder.

also, boar-dilly, would love to see a pic of the ball starter you made. sounds like a fun little project. i weld and fabricate for a living ( self employed) and dont have much time right now. thought about making my own starter but didnt have any decent hardwood to use, i thought the softer pine i have around here would be too soft.

i am really looking forward to hunting with this gun, i love my 50 cal, but the squirrel gun is so light, its not a burden to carrry from what i see.

again, thanks for all the feedback!!

duke21

They are easy to make, I don't know how to put a picture on here or I would. The way I started was one day I forgot my starter and was by a hickory tree and went over and made me one, stil have it. This was in 1982. The hickory limbs have a little scar on them, I used this for the flat place. I worked 35 and half years in steel shop, 27 of those years I was a Welder. Did mostly the spot welder, would arc when I had to. Retired in 95 at 55 yrs of age. Every day is Sat. Dilly

Congrats on the rifle purchase. You're gonna have all kinds of fun!

My .32 Crockett shoots good with 20 or 25 grains of 3F. October Country also carries some .32 cal accessories. Or make your own as others have. A chunk of shed antler and a piece of 1/4" brass rod make a nice ball starter.

Here's a pic of one I made along with some other stuff from the same shed. The tip next to the short starter is my powder measure. To the left of that is a nipple pick with a brow-tine handle (the brass tube part screws off). The patch knife handle came from the same antler and there were some more pieces left over for future projects.

IM000303.jpg

Duke, congrats on the gun purchase. That's the way a gun deal should go. Sounds like good folks all around.

Jethro, that starter is gorgeous! Very ingenious use of an antler. The nipple pick is really well done too. Heck, I like them all. :)

Don't forget to get real BP!!
It'll work alot better than the RS..
FFFg

Plink said:
Jethro, that starter is gorgeous! Very ingenious use of an antler. The nipple pick is really well done too. Heck, I like them all. :)

Thanks Plink. I like 'em way more than store-bought.

boar-dilly, i wish i could retire. way its going i will be working till the day i kick the bucket. I am glad everyday is saturday for you, i am envious. But enjoy it!! also still would like to see your starter and such.

jethro, sure are nice pieces you posted here. It appears you take a lot of pride in the work you do.

after listening to you guys here, i am ready to just make my own starter and measure. been thinking about getting a 45 or 50 cal cleaning jag and the patch remover and ball remover and just turn down the diameters a bit to fit my gun. havent found any luck around here with small caliber stuff.

again ,guys thanks, i am getting exited about getting this one to the woods, probably more so than my 50 cal. since i like small game, i think i will get to shoot this a bunch.

duke21

p.s. if you have more pics of your hand made pieces or know of more links i would appreciate it.

Duke, if you reply to my PM and send me your address i have the CVA Manual, and a .32 cal ball puller, and an antler tip powder measurer that had a small hole drilled out the side but could be sealed and used. Just shoot me a couple bucks to cover postage and i will ship them to you.

hey rebel,

i thought i replyed to you in the pm mail, evidently didnt do something right. I am still getting used to this website. yes, i would gladly accept your offer, check your mail by mid week, i am in indiana, and i am sure the mail is slowing this time of year.

duke21

plink,

you are aboslutely right. I own a small business and thats how i always felt every transaction should go. If it was all about just exchanging money, it wouldnt be nearly as much fun. i really enjoyed the company of these guys and look forward to hooking up with them again. It is kinda like this group, you guys are informative, friendly, knowledgeable, and interested in keeping the muzzleloading fire going. you would think in rural indiana, i would stubble across lots of others with similar interests, but so far has not been so. There are plenty of good people around here and lots of interest in firearms, just not into non cartridge guns. I happen to like both a lot, i can be really happy spending the day with my collection of 22 rifles, shooting my old mossy shotguns, or doing the blackpowder thing. I appreciate and like them all. The black powder has taught me a bit more about patience and i have gained a lot of respect of those who came before us as well. My family thinks i am a bit strange in that i dig these older style guns, i think i am just getting in touch with my roots. when i get these guns out i feel like i am going back in time to another era alltogether, and i kinda like that. I gent i bought the 32 from is about my size and is considering parting with a full deerskin outfit, boots and all. I am now interested in those items, if he decides to part with them. If not, maybe the time has come for me to do my own.

thanks for the feedback

duke21

Back