• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got an ML elk tag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looks like I drew a muzzleloader elk tag for the southeast Oregon hunt this fall. I have my homework cut out for me, as the hunt area covers several thousand square miles of sage and juniper lands, basalt canyons and rimrock vistas. Breathtaking country to hunt.

:grin: I've got the opposite problem. Drew a Nehalem muzzleloader elk tag. Not a lot of territory involved, but its nasty stuff. Good luck to you.

Yeeehaw I Drew My Northeast Trask Muzzleloader
Tag . It's Going To Be Fun If We Don't Get Snowed
Out Like Last Year.Yeeeehaw
--------------------------
Dan-L

P.S. It's For 1 ELK

Hunsfoot 1 said:
Good hunting to the both of you. I'm sure everyone would like to hear a couple stories of your hunts.

I can probably sum it up right now. Heard 'em, smelled 'em, never saw 'em. Had fun trying. :grin:

Congrats on the Oregon Elk tags guys, I think that Trask tag may incude the Cedar cr. drainage N. of the Flying M, I used to see a lot of Elk in those canyons when trapping Beaver years ago.I had a tag for one Elk in that area several years ago and followed a heard with two bulls for about three miles and they dropped down onto private property and bedded down in a clover field...posted no hunting, they pretty much stayed low for the course of the season.

Guys, what guns do you plan to hunt with. For me, the obvious first choice is a Pacific Zephyr underhammer in .62, with Forsythe rifling and designed for very heavy charges. But my backup gun will be a fusile de chasse flint smoothie also in .62, as chukar season will be open. It would sure be a thrill to kill an elk with the fusile.

I Will Be Using My 50cal. CVA Cap Lock
with 90 graines Pyro 385 Grain Bufflo
Bullet To Make Meat.

Hey Tg I Have Hunted Cedar Ck Many Times
I Think I Saw The Same Group Of Your Talking
About. Fairchild Ck Good Area All The Way To
Flora Main Line.

To All You Elk Hunters Be Safe And Good Hunting.

-----------------------------
Dan-L

"Hey Tg I Have Hunted Cedar Ck Many Times
I Think I Saw The Same Group Of Your Talking
About. Fairchild Ck Good Area All The Way To
Flora Main Line"

All good country I can remember when you could still see parts of the rail road trestles standing and the iron hoops for the water barrels at one time you could see for miles over the old Tillamook burn area from a high point, it was a wounderus sight in the sixtes. Good luck with your hunt there atre a lot of Elk in that country.

There are some nice junks of iron left in some of those canyons but it would be a bear getting it out now after everything has grown back, it might even be hard to find some of it again, that country swallows stuff pretty quick when the brush starts growing.

:v Good Luck Hunting!
I drew a Klickitat Mt tag, just five miles from home. Had good luck there in the past. Hunt period is all January.
Will use my .62 Zephyr, always works in the rain! :v

Bakeoven Bill said:
Hunsfoot 1 said:
Good hunting to the both of you. I'm sure everyone would like to hear a couple stories of your hunts.

I can probably sum it up right now. Heard 'em, smelled 'em, never saw 'em. Had fun trying. :grin:

You forgot the other part that goes along with that....... "I got wet and some fool took a sound shot at me"

brett sr said:
Bakeoven Bill said:
Hunsfoot 1 said:

You forgot the other part that goes along with that....... "I got wet and some fool took a sound shot at me"

Hunt starts 1 Aug so I'm hoping to avoid the rain and only 22 tags were issued so there shouldn't be too many fools out there. At least I hope not.

I got east grant tag ,strawberry wilderness,south of John Day ,mid-Oct. I have drawn it before, I plan to use my 1803 Harpers Ferry or one of the 7 back-ups in the rack

BillinOregon said:
Guys, what guns do you plan to hunt with. For me, the obvious first choice is a Pacific Zephyr underhammer in .62, with Forsythe rifling and designed for very heavy charges. But my backup gun will be a fusile de chasse flint smoothie also in .62, as chukar season will be open. It would sure be a thrill to kill an elk with the fusile.

When you tag one with that Zephyr I hope you'll post a nice photo with the underhammer. BTW, Google Earth is your friend for checking where the game trails are and terrain. :wink:

Back