• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got first roundball deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
After years of using connicals I thought I would try roundballs. Well I got my chance. I had a deer creep up on me since the ground thawed then it was sleeting and windy and before I knew it I was watching this deers head slantwise and adjusting my bucket seat. I had to wait to get a shot since the deer wandered between saplings its ample sized head came out from behind the tree then its torso and boom. This was a heart lung shot at 12 yards went down in 30-40 yards. I am sad to say it was a buttonbuck it had a big head I figured he was a doe. I was totally amazed at the enterence and exit wounds The enterence almost a perfect circle the size of the ball the exit was about 11/4" It totally took out the heart and lungs. I used my TC Renegade 70 grains of 3f goex a remington cap, .530 roundball and a pillow ticking patch .018. The gun was loaded yesterday about 36 hours old but had been in and out of the house. I now feel totally confident about roundball use. Interresting to hear the other Muzzleloader hunters using subs, it sounded like a lot of delayed fires The goex just went boom. I am going out tomorrow evening last chance at an antlered buck.

With a handle like yours, isn't it fitting your first roundball deer be the same??

Nothing to be ashamed about, they eat good, grats!

buttonbuck said:
I was totally amazed at the enterence and exit wounds The enterence almost a perfect circle the size of the ball the exit was about 1 1/4", It totally took out the heart and lungs.

I used my TC Renegade 70 grains of 3f goex a remington cap, .530 roundball and a pillow ticking patch .018.

I now feel totally confident about roundball use.

That's what it takes...the willingness to learn, plan, and try.
Unfortunately we're raised up in a "magnumitis" environment of marketing hype from most manufacturers, gun writers, etc...but once we get actual hands on experience with the basic lead round ball, we realize they're as perfectly efficient today as they were during all the previous centuries.

They simply aren't long range projectiles, and when hunted the way they were used during the centuries of traditional muzzleloader hunting, nothing else is needed.

Congratulations !
:hatsoff:

Good going button buck! The round ball can be very impressive- nice shot placement. I too switched to round balls this season- they work!

Enjoy the steaks...Dan

Good on ya buttonbuck. Grats on the full freezer. :hatsoff:
Now lets fill up the empty wall space tomorrow. Good luck out there. :thumbsup:

Nice job! I know what other's mean by magnumitis. We're trained to think that the stuff we did back when must have been hardly effective...you know...because they did it a long time ago.

Hunting this way really opens your eyes. :shocked2:

Congrads! hey was your renegade a 56 smoothie? I got a nice doe last year with one and I agree about the roundball it dropped her right there @ about 45yds!

trying to find more balls for mine though so I wondering what size you used and what size patch if you had a 56

Howdy tajue17 Mine is a 54 my suggestion look online for auctions and buy a lyman or TC mould in .55 caliber I got lucky and got one for 15.00 in the event I found a TC smooth bore cheap. You could have one made by Jeff Tanner in any caliber you want. I know some have great luck with a .535 ball. I believe Track of the wolf sells them. Good luck

buttonbuck said:
... I am sad to say it was a buttonbuck it had a big head I figured he was a doe.

Hello Button,
1st off, congrats for making meat, you did a great job! I've been out in sleet & freezing rain enough to know it ain't no fun.

Don't know how it is in your state, but in PA, we see far fewer deer than we used to. The PGC issued far more doe tags in recent years and put in antler restrictions as well. We were told we were gonna see more and bigger bucks. They were wrong - we are seeing bigger bucks because the spike and forks aren't being shot but an estimated 40% of the "does" are really buttonbucks. They don't even get to be spikers.
Used to be common to see 20+ deer in a herd and either pick out your doe if it was doe season (and she was a doe 'cause she was the biggest deer) or you could wait to see if there was a buck following if it was buck season. They were seperate seasons.
Now, there's 1 season and lots of buttonbucks get killed by hunters that didn't want them dead. Those of us who don't want to see it get worse are not trying to discern the buttonbuck from the doe...

1. Many times (but not always) a button buck will travel alone. Adult does will not. They travel with other deer.

2. If you are watching a group of deer enter an opening or a food plot, typically an adult deer will stand for moments to scan the area before entering it. Whereas a young buck (or fawn doe) will just dart out into the area.

3. An adult doe will have more of a rectangular body whereas the button buck body is more square and box-like.

4. An adult doe will have a longer neck and snout. A young button buck will have a shortened snout and and not as lengthy a neck.

5. An adult doe also has a more rounded head between it's ears whereas the young button buck has more of a flat area between the ears.

Tips & Warnings
Always use binoculars to completely identify your prey before shooting. Just be patient. We all get that thumping heart when we see the deer coming to us. A true sportsman enjoys the rush but keeps his/her full awareness. Stay still! If you're seeing a button buck and some other deer with it, the big buck is most likely somewhere behind waiting to see if all is clear.

Finnwolf

Back