• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a picture of Monday's hunt. This was an over the counter antlerless only, muzzleloader only hunt.
Elk2008.jpg
[/img]

Mm-mmm-mmmm! Elk Steaks!

Congratulations. :hatsoff: :grin:

When you have a break from all the work, please tell us the details. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

At first I thought it looked like a Camel :grin:

Congratulations of your hunt...you're gonna have a short season if you keep filling tags that fast!
:hatsoff:

Way to go! I think I know that spot, were there any other hunters there? Ron

We camped in an area I had found Elk before on Saturday and Sunday which gave me a chance to scout a bit, since the hunt didn't open 'till Monday. I was able to find a large herd with several Bulls and many Cows in it. The vocalizations were amazing! Bulls bugling and Cows mewing and making all kinds of sounds, it was great. I was able to get in on this Cow about 11 AM in her bed, she spooked at 10 yards and ran down hill below me, quartering away. The ball went in high (because of the angle) at about 2/3 back on the ribcage on the right side and stopped in the left shoulder. I think I will find the ball because I didn't see an exit wound when I skinned her. She went down in 50-60 yards. It was HOT! about 85 degrees so I snapped a few quick pics and got her skinned and quartered and in what little shade I could find. Hiked back to camp and drove to an old desert road that took us within 1/2 mile of her. I backpacked out the hind quarters, backstraps and meat off the ribs and neck, my wife through a shoulder over her shoulder and made two trips, God bless her! My 6 year old daughter made one hike in and out too. I was shooting my .58 with 120 grains KIK 2F, pillow tick patch and good 'ol Stumpy's Semi-Dry lube tecnique. Thanks again Stumpy, I love that lube!

A practical caliber and sensible big game hunting load for that size animal too...a 279grn soft lead ball ahead of 120grns powder will take most anything on the NA continent...a reference model for others to consider
:thumbsup:

Back