• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my first deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my first deer with a muzzleloader this past hunting season. Name was drawn for a special elk damage control hunt two weeks ago. It was to take place on a very open range with little cover. A friend who often hunts there told me I needed a rifle that could "reach out" because I would never get within 200 yards of any elk. So I did not use my Thompson Center Hawken, but took my traditional rifle. (I was told it wasn't just a rifle when I bought it, but a "complete shooting system") Well I stalked to within 15 yards of my elk. After I dressed him, I was just disgusted with myself. I should have been sitting there with my first muzzleloader elk, instead I let someone else set my expectations for me. Never again.

Good plan guy. Sorry it went that way...and elk can be "snuck up on"...even in the open, but you have to be willing to do some serious crawling! :wink: :haha:

All my hunting buddies use high power rifles for deer hunting and can not understand why I won't let go of my flintlocks for deer hunting. ITS'S ALL ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE. Good luck on your next hunt
Pappy :v

Been my experience ,, When someone says something can't be done ,,,they are standing in the way of those that are doing it,!!!!! goes back to the old saying..Lead,,follow ,, or get out of the way....
wjson You are a "hunter" not a "shooter",as reflected in your ability to get close and not depend on firepower. Never know ,, might have gone the other way and all the elk were out a long way,,It's about the journey ,, not so much the destination.
Buddy of mine went to CO. to hunt elk with his ML finally gave in and went modern,,late season Elk are much smarter ,,

I ran into another hunter after I had already been successful. He had been out the day before and shot 4 times at a herd of around 600 elk. Not at the herd, but an elk within the herd. He had all the bells and whistles. He helped me drag my elk out, after he fired another 4 shots at some other elk, all without success. I saw 2 herd of 300-400 each, but thinking it would be easier to sneak up on 2 eyes rather than 600, I went for the elk standing off from the herd. Took a full hour to cover the last half mile. While I was sitting with my elk after I had dressed it, I was amazed I had been able to get as close as I did. Muzzleloading has totally changed the way I hunt. For the better.

When my op was alive he would do alot of crazy and/or non poltically correct things and was always told "Daaad you cant do that!". The reply he always gave (which I wanted on his head stone but was out voted) was "Well I Did Didn't I?"

Next time pop a cap on the ol bull's arse and use that same saying to yer nay saying buddy! Heck at 15 yds you could'a used a Mnt Pistol! Good hunt though!

Back