• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got the Harper's Ferry cleaned

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sparks all right! Those M.1803 rifles can be a little aggravating sometimes, since the original was a "basher" type and the copies cast form the originals shrink as they cool. You're fortunate that yours works well but don't be discouraged if it goes through flints quicker than other lock types. Good luck.

Ah Ha! I have a Pedersoli kit version of the Harper Ferry Pistol. It sparks and shoots fine, but heaven help the flints. They hit the frizzen like an axe hits a condemed tree. I thought it was an Italian perversion of the original. It sounds like it is not.

The original lock geometry of the 1803 Harper's Ferry rifles is hard on modern English flints, at least...don't know what the results were with the French amber flints originally issued with the rifles. Many years ago, "Doc" Carlson at Crofton, Nebraska, (Upper Missouri Trading) identified the problematic angles and modified a number of cocks for the then-imported Navy Arms replicas. It cured the problem; the modified hammer was not noticeably different than the original HF cocks from which the Navy import was copied. (There may have been a short article in Muzzleloader or Muzzle Blasts at the time on this modification; I don't recall.) A number of the members of our Lewis and Clark group had these Navy imports; the modified ones worked beautifully while the as-imported ones continued to turn English flints to gravel rather rapidly. We had no source for French flints other than archaeological finds at the time, sadly.

At any rate, the popular gossip at the time was that the Navy imports were copied very faithfully from an original Harper's Ferry rifle lock, and theoretically therefore replicated not only the lock but its inherent problems when using English flints. There is a difference not only in the material but in the knapping technique between English and French flints; the original HF lock was designed to use French flints.

I felt like mentioning the angle of impact in that video. Compared to what I shoot it looks like the cock is only coming down half way! No wonder it's hard on flints.. yikes.

I'm used to the flint stopping a lot further down nearly in the pan.

Back