• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got'er done

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my first BP deer. I've put about 2,000 holes in paper with my muzzleloaders but here's the first meat made with it.

DSCF0001-1.jpg

Nice West Texas doe fed well on alfalfa and pecans.

T/C Hawken w/GM barrel .54 caliber
85 grains Goex 2f
.535 homemade ball and ticking patch

80 yard shot broadside.

Learned a lesson...peep sights are not a good choice for hunting. I had some misses this weekend. Ended up taking the aperture out and shooting ghost ring. That did the trick.

Thanks to my deer "guide", you know who you are. :hatsoff:

HD

That's simply outstanding...and yes, I agree...peeps are terrible in low light situations and looks like you figured that out pretty quick.

Nice looking rifle too...congratulations !!
:thumbsup:

Congratulations: Any time you can take a deer, you have a trophy to be proud about.

A ghost ring is a peep sight, only bigger! Unless its high noon, and a bright sunny day, the aperature would have to have a pretty big hole in it to use in a hunting situation. The main problem is you don't have the same definition of the target like you get shooting at paper bullseyes. That grey body on that deer makes it very hard to see your front sight against it. I drilled out the hole in my peep sight from the factory, simply because it was so small that the least bit of lint would get into it and blur the site for me, even on a bright day at the range. But, when I went hunting, the aperature came out and I used the Ghost Ring. It works, right?

Good goin' Dawg! :hatsoff:

Nice doe too. That'll be some mighty tasty eatin'. :thumbsup:

Way to go Dawg! You take that practice, practice, practice, (2000 shots) serious don't you. :grin: That will be a good eating doe.

Hello from Germany!

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil!

Where did you hit here exactly?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Hello from Germany!

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil!

Where did you hit here exactly?

Regards

Kirrmeister

I hit her high in the tip of the shoulder blade. She dropped like a stone but needed a finishing shot to the cranium. No meat damage.

HD

Way to go Dawg!
Pecan flavored Deer meat!Mmmmmm.......Where is thet Darned "Drooling Icon"? :thumbsup:

Back