• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hthomso

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Lyman GPR flintlock. I see that the GPR gets good reviews on this site, but sometimes it is not clear whether the subject is the flint or percussion model. My question is this: Is the flint lock used on this rifle a high quality, reliable, good-sparking lock? Any problems?

The only thing I did to improve my GPR was to replace the vent liner with one from RMC sports. This improved the ignition speed and reliability.

The lock itself is just fine.

The traditional guys give it some grief because it uses a coil spring.

The frizzen is good, actually some use it as a replacement for other brands of locks cause it works so well.

The updated vent liner hass nothing to do with the lock operation, but it really helps the overall operation of the gun. Probably the best $4 you can spend. Some folks just drill out their fatory one.

The GPR is the best bang for the buck in the industry.

IMHO

Have both Lyman perc. and flints for many years and have no problems with any.

I like my GPR .54 flinter, just fine. If you want a rifle that holds well offhand and shoots straight I think you'll like it but it is a bit heavier than the shorter "Hawkens" for carrying. I've handled and fired better rifles but at 5x the cost and you can do a lot of shooting and hunting with that extra $1200. You can smooth up the trigger easily and 3/8 brass rod drilled/tapped 10-32 makes a nice range rod that will fit the thimbles if you like the extra weight for offhand. Tom fuller or Rich Pierce flints (I use 3/4"), both work well in mine (bevel down). I did replace the TH liner with one I coned and opened up a bit (nothing wrong with the one that comes with it). BTW it is threaded M6 x 0.75

Latest posts

Back