• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gransfors French Trade Ax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned a number of GB blades over the years but this one is new to me. The GB's I've owned have been peerless choppers. I just googled this one and it looks really great, and to my rather unstudied eye, is definitely PC. I am going to look into getting one for myself if it's not too pricey.

May I ask where you've seen one for sale?

ITs a little pricey (299.00) but if you already have one it should work well
frenchtradeax-1.jpg
[/img]

A "little" pricey?? One could buy two, or three excellent American smith made hawks like those for that price, and they would probably be better finished.

Wow. Prices have gone up. You really have to want an axe to spend that kind of money on one.
Granfors does make nice tools, though. I have one of their "mini" belt hatchets that is my primary tool when making stickbows. It is running now at about twice what I paid for it a few years ago.
Alas.
Pete

I have trouble accepting they are actually worth the prices asked.
Most of my 'hawks are H&B and have served well for decades. A couple I don't know make but they are equally great. All, at today's prices, would be under $30.00.
My best, a Lewis & Clark replica was $30.00.

Beaver Bill and Joe DeLaronde make good quality stuff I have one from each maker Bill uses 5160 not sure what all Joe uses but are made more tradtional with a higher carbon steel bit forged welded in for cutting edge.

I have a Delaronda forge knife as well as knives from Tim Ridge of swamp fox knives so I know their work. Just ordered a GB French Trade axe today for $312 includes shipping. Gransfors make a really great ax and my husband said it was worth the cost. Also we have 3 H&B forge hawks and none of them chop well and they are sharp plus they are too heavy for me to use and carry. Thanks

I don't throw axes like some of you guys do thats why I ordered the GB so I can have a nice chopper that I can throw if needed. My main use of a axe is cutting up small wood for cooking fires, making bows, dressing game and scalping British regulars for my husband lol.

I looked at the site... Whoa $876 for a battle axe :confused: Makes me think one could buy an original for just a bit more. Note to self: invest in a forge. :haha:

Holy moly! There are American smiths who make a superior axe (with a better finish, as Wick said) for less money. I have a very nicely finished axe from Kyle Willyard that was handmade in a period correct manner that cost $150- it was a documented, period design as well. It is very durable. That said, I have a couple axes that were cheap (one about $30 and the other an old hand-me down) that I would have to put significant effort and misuse into if I wanted to ruin.

I have to agree. All the GB's I've had were under a hundred buck. Three hundred is too rich for my blood. On the other hand, if I had nothing but money, why not?

I cant see BeaverBills or Joes not chopping or cutting well or being to heavy I paid 45.00 for the one and 80.00 for the other. But you have to be happy people like different things.

I just received my GB French Trade axe today from UPS and I can say I have NEVER seen a period axe as good as this one. It is very light and chops VERY good and was razor sharp out of the package. I am happy I went with GB for this piece.

Wick Ellerbe said:
A "little" pricey?? One could buy two, or three excellent American smith made hawks like those for that price, and they would probably be better finished.

Good point,Wick. :bow: I have "bench" {exact} copies of two French hatchets {I hate the term "hawk"} dug on Braddock's march of 1755 complete with correct hafts.They were made by Jeff Miller and cost about $100.00 each complete with 23 in.ash wood hafts.The head of one{my favorite}is 5x2 inches with a slight drooping of the top line.See LES ARMES de TRAITE BY RUSSEL BOUCHARD,P.13,Fig. 5. I have no doubt but that they were carried by a French allied Indian.Your math is good here and the finish of my hatchets is great.
Tom Patton

If instead of a French style trade ax you'd like a British style I highly recommend Jymm Hoffman - just google for Hoffman's Forge, Ambridge Pa. Jymm does excellent period work and produces a mild steel body ax with a high carbon bit forge welded in for the cutting edge. I'm certain he'd also be willing to duplicate the French style as well, as he had blacksmith's hammers for sale at Ft. Niagara's F & I reenactment this year styled after those in Diderot's Encyclopedia.

Back