• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

great day in the woods!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fort fireman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Last friday I woke up alittle before 7 am. I had an afternoon of plans but my morning was wide open. I had origanally planned on sleeping in alittle bit but quickly changed my mind. I decided to go squirrel hunting instead. My wife just kinda laughed at me as I was headin out the door. I got to the woods and the breeze kinda picked up and I thought that I may not have much luck. I found a nice place to set for awhile but didn't see anything. As the morning moved on the breeze started to die off but It started to sprinkle alittle. Thats when it got fun. It was like a flood gate opened and theree were squirrels all over. I had my 45 cal pedersoli longrifle flinter that I built over the winter. This was only the second hunt I have taken it on. Long sttory short I shot at 3 squirrels and got 2 of them. It may not be a big deal to some out there but to me its huge. I can't describe the pride and self satisfaction I got when I made meat with a gun that i built.(It was a kit I just basically finished it).I ended up getting home alittle after lunch time and had those squirrels for supper that night. I still haven't learned the art of cooking squirrel yet. They were good but not like my mama made, but thats another story.

By the way I have a picture I took with my phone but haven't figured out how to post it. When I do I will get it up here.

Congrats! I have yet to kill anything with my .54 Hawken, but I am sure I will have the same sense of pride when I do! :thumbsup:

Congrats on a great hunt with a great rifle. You named it yet since you drew blood?

Heck man, it IS a big deal...has been for all of us too...the first anything with a Flintlock is special...congratulations!
:hatsoff:

It was a big deal for me to get that first squirrel with a flint. Hope this year will be the first flint deer! Glad you had a good time. Take it deer hunting.

No better way to spend the morning. :thumbsup:

I've been itching to get out again after some squirrels. Been so much family stuff goin' on I just have not had the woods time I need.

I like to boil 'em first until almost done, then season, dredge 'em in flour/cracker crumbs, and fry 'em up.
Also good in a stew pot.

Truly a great way to spend the morning. I have found that a little rain brings them bushy tails out to run. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: For a good recipe, get your grandmaws best fried chicken recipe, bakenpowder biskets, and gravey. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Teton Ted

Congatulations! Squirrel is great in Brunswick stew!!! Thanks for the story.

Check out some of the receipes in this forum. There's a bunch of real good ones here. :wink:

Back