• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great-Grandpa's Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All!

I am looking for any information about my Great-Grandfather's shotgun. The gun is a percussion SxS of about 11ga, with some choking. Barrels are Damasus twist (at least they look like it, but I'm no expert). The gun is clearly marked along the top rib as "J.PRATT 28 HANOVER STREET EDINBURGH". After that there is a large number "1" on the top of the rib. The side plates are both marked "J.Pratt" and nicely engraved. On the underside of the butt there is a strip of steel, and it is engraved with the number "238" (serial number, I presume?). There is also a silver button set under the butt, with "1837" faintly stamped on it. I assume this is the year it was made.

Internet searches show up nothing under J.Pratt. I understand there were probably many gun makers in Scotland at that time. ANY information on J.Pratt or the Scottish gun making industry at that time would be welcome!

My Great-Grandfather worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway out of Toronto and he acquired this gun as unclaimed baggage, probably in about 1910 (give or take 20 years, as this is not well documented in the family). The family story is that he paid $2 for it, but I can't verify that. The gun is mentioned in some family documents (general reference) as being used to shoot racoons at our cottage on Lake Muskoka. I do not come from a hunting family, so I am sure any general mention of "Grandpa's shotgun" refers to this gun.

I have several pics, for interests sake. The gun is certainly in "used" condition, but it is the history of it that I enjoy. I hope to use it in the field (with light loads of course) someday. At presaent, I am scrubbing 150+ years' worth of rust and manure out of the bore, a little bit at a time.

Thanks for any help or comments!

This first pic is of the gun in its case. My Grandpa made this case - he was pretty handy in the wood shop.
JPratt001.jpg

Here's a shot of the underside of the gun. The serial number (?) is along the grip and the silver button near the butt has the date stamp.
JPratt003.jpg

Here's a shot of the top rib. This is where the bulk of the information is stamped (it looks like stamping, as opposed to engraving, but I'm not 100% sure).
JPratt014.jpg

Here's a full length shot from below. Apparantly the forearm was badly damaged (which may explain the $2 price tag), so my Grandpa fashioned a repair from a piece of German silver. I'm not sure what year that was, but he did a nice job for a guy who was not a gunsmith (just very handy!).

JPratt019.jpg

Here's a closer view, of the left side. "J.Pratt" is engraved just below and to the front of where the hammer is pinned (sorry - I don't know the terminolgy for that!). This gun has some interesting safety features. In addition to the typical "half-cock" setting, you have to depress the button (visible just behind the trigger guard) in order for the gun to fire. Is this a common feature for the gun's era?

JPratt006.jpg

The last couple of pics are more for curiosity sake than anything. This is the percussion cap tin which came with the gun. It says "Eley" and "London". I recall it had about 20 caps in it. Unfortunately, as I was the only hunter/gun lover in the family I was given this gun as an early inheritance. Perhaps a little too early to appreciate what it was and I snapped off all the caps, which is also how the one hammer got broken. :redface: I have forgiven myself, because I was just a young gun lover who didn't know no better.

JPratt032.jpg

Last pic (I hope this is not too many to post on the non-pic forum?).

My Grandpa's handi-work on wooden case he made included a screw-in key, made to match another wood knob as camoflage. Smart feller, my Grandpa!

JPratt033.jpg

That is a beutiful old shotgun.
You said you are working on cleaning up the bores,how bad do they look?
In your pictures the gun looks to be in good shape for its age.
Concrats.on recieving it.I wish I could get my Great Grandfathers old 45/70.Its still in the family.
If you get it shooting please let us know how it goes.

Great old gun,I'm certain someone on the ML Forum will find the particulars for You. The rust and crud in the bores may well have come drom the old caps you snapped.They contained corrosive chemicals.Most ,if not all the new caps are non-corrosive. It is a wonderfull piece of Family history.Good luck with the restoration. :thumbsup:

I don't know anything about the builder, but that's a nice high end Scottish built double. :thumbsup: The leteres on the barrel rib are engraved , not stamped. The grip safty is usually only found on high quality guns. Interesting repair on the forestock. The great length of the trigger guard front finial leads me to believe the gun is much later than 1837. I'd say sometime in the 1860's.

Great scatter gun there, and the repairs by your grand father only adds to it's history and authenticity.

gordy said:
The rust and crud in the bores may well have come drom the old caps you snapped.They contained corrosive chemicals.

I know that now. If I only knew that THEN. :redface: :shake:

Well the fancy trigger guard takes it out of the gamekeeper class of shotgun, but there is no way it was made for the carrage trade. Probably something the middle class, shopkeepers, barrasters, etc, might own. :winking:

Boothroyd's Directory of British Gunmakers lists John Pratt as an Edinburgh gunsmith at 7 Carnagie Street in 1820, and thereafter at several other Edinburgh addresses. The last entry for this maker was in 1861. If the "1837" designates a date, it would have been built at a 11 Hanover Place address. Hope this is useful.

Thanks mesabi! Now I am intrigued, because the address on the gun doesn't seem to match up to the date?

That is the first mention I have ever heard of literature on J.Pratt. Thanks!

John Pratt was at 28 Honover Street 1839-52 according to Stockel.

Grandad probably blitzed the value when he repaired the forearm, but I expect he made it more valuable to you :thumbsup:

Now where's the #2 gun of the pair? Have you been back to the lost luggage with another 2 bucks in your hand yet? :grin:

#2 gun? Do you think that is what the big #1 on the rib denotes - #1 of a pair? That could be a logical assumption, for sure. Wouldn't it be amazing if I found the other gun (assuming it ever existed)! As for value, it is a family heirloom so unless it were worth millions, I'd have no interest in selling.

I wish the gun could talk, with all the history that's in it!

Squire Robin said:
John Pratt was at 28 Honover Street 1839-52 according to Stockel.

Grandad probably blitzed the value when he repaired the forearm, but I expect he made it more valuable to you :thumbsup:

Now where's the #2 gun of the pair? Have you been back to the lost luggage with another 2 bucks in your hand yet? :grin:

Just a thought, as I don't know when this type of marking started use, but the #1 could indicate the amount of choke in the barrels. I have a 16ga. Lefever double that is marked in this fashion. :hmm:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Back