• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Plains Hunter vs. Deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostDriver

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Being a newbie, and being left handed, I've about decided to purchase either a caplock GPH or Deerstalker in .54 for elk and deer this year.

I see that Lyman offers both of these in a lefty lock. My question is: Other than fit and finish, is there really much of a reason to get the GPH over the Deerstalker? For the $130 difference I could buy lotsa boolets and such. However, if the accuracy and dependablilty of the GPH is better than the Deerstalker .... well, I've learned my lesson regarding false economies.

What do you think, guys?

From what I have learned about these two BP rifles the main difference, from a hunter’s standpoint, is the barrel length and twist. The twist rate is really the big thing though.
Deerstalker ~ 24" barrel and 1:48 twist
GPH ~ 32" barrel and 1:32 twist
First where are you planning on hunting? In Idaho we are not allowed to use sabots thus the GPH with the faster twist won’t shoot round balls and possibly conical.Check your local regs and see what they say. Using round balls though is a lot cheaper way of becoming used to your new BP rifle.
Second the longer barrel gives you a longer sighting plain. Other than that it is just a personal preference on which way you want to go.

Hope it helps a might,
:hatsoff: RoadRat

I am left handed as well and always on the search for left handed rifles. The problem is I have too many cap locks now. I was at a ml shop in mingoville, Pa yesterday and they had a kit, left handed TC renegade in 54 cal for 225.00. PM me if you want the details. I have no affiliation with the shop.

RoadRat said:
From what I have learned about these two BP rifles the main difference, from a hunter’s standpoint, is the barrel length and twist. The twist rate is really the big thing though.
First where are you planning on hunting? In Idaho we are not allowed to use sabots thus the GPH with the faster twist won’t shoot round balls and possibly conical.Check your local regs and see what they say. Using round balls though is a lot cheaper way of becoming used to your new BP rifle.
Second the longer barrel gives you a longer sighting plain. Other than that it is just a personal preference on which way you want to go.

Hope it helps a might,
I have a CVA Bobcat 50 cal that has the 1-48 twist and it loves the PRB better than it likes either of the CVA powerbelts. Maybe just a individual rifle thing :confused: but enjoy either one you wish for , I am going to get a GPR from Cabela's as soon as I talk my wife out of the money, bartering against all of those honey-dos is just a loosing battle.

Keep your powder dry

RoadRat said:

Hope it helps a might,

The twist of the GPH makes it basically a conicals only rifle. I personally like the longer barrels and like the Gpeat Plains Rifle with the 1:60" roundball twist and own 3 of them. WHy not just get a GPR? The .54cal roundball is certainly more than adequate for elk and deer.

PostDriver said:
Being a newbie, and being left handed, I've about decided to purchase either a caplock GPH or Deerstalker in .54 for elk and deer this year.

I see that Lyman offers both of these in a lefty lock. My question is: Other than fit and finish, is there really much of a reason to get the GPH over the Deerstalker? For the $130 difference I could buy lotsa boolets and such. However, if the accuracy and dependablilty of the GPH is better than the Deerstalker .... well, I've learned my lesson regarding false economies.

What do you think, guys?

I've been using a Deerstalker for many years in the field and have owned a couple GPR's. The Great Plains Rifle is heavy and awkward for hunting compared to the Deerstalker. I'm very happy with the Deerstalker.

If your able to shoulder each of them side-by-side, you'll be better able to make a decision. I think you'll see what I mean about the Deerstalker being the more comfortable rifle to carry in the field.

As a lefty, I got both a GPR and a Deerstalker, both in flint...I prefer the Deerstalker...it is accurate, easier to carry...doesn't look very authentic, but is a great little rifle...with a .49 prb...Hank

I bought a left hand flintlock Deerstalker last December. It's my first muzzleloading rifle.
I like the weight and balance of the rifle, it feels a lot like my Marlin 336.
The GPR/H while nice rifles are too heavy and clubby for me. I like the rubber recoil pad on the DS too compaired to the steel cresent butt plate on the GPR.
Try to go to a shop that has both and see which feels best to you.
Good luck, I really like my DS. I wish I could find a small bore barrel, Pa requires a bore less then .44 for small game.
Shoot safe.

Thanks for all the replies so far, guys.

I've handled one of the GPH's, but not the Deerstalker. I'm thinking, coming from a traditional centerfire concept, that the straight butt on the Deerstalker (with the pad) would be easier to get used to. Honestly, I'll prob put a better recoil pad on it, being a .54 and all. OTOH, I probably should get used to using the crescent buttplates anyway, since I doubt that this will be my only ML and most of the other, more traditional, rifles have the crescent buttplate.

I'll be hunting in New Mexico and possibly Colorado for elk, NM and Texas for deer.

I would prefer the shorter rifles over the GPR for my first timer rifle, being easier to handle. Hmmm, the 32" twist in the GPH might not handle round balls and conicals (which I intend to shoot) as well as the 48" twist in the Deerstalker...food for thought.

We can shoot sabots in NM, so the 32"twist GPH would do fine with say, a 300gr w/sabot, if they shoot ok. Since I can't shoot sabots in CO, would the GPH not handle regular conicals at all??? If it won't, it sounds like the Deerstalker would be a better all around rifle.

More ideas?

While its true the GPH is a larger gun, don't let the 1 in 32 twist scare you off. It is designed for conicals as well as sabots and will do a decent job with PRB if you find the right powder/patch combo. Even a 1 in 28 will shoot accurate using around 70gr of powder out to 50 , 75 even 100 yards with PRB and a tight patch.

I have a 54 GPR and plan on getting a 50 GPH barrel for it to use on elk in NM.

Good luck with whatever you get, both rifles are good for what you want to do.

I think 32 cal barrels are available for the deerstalker from[url] rmcsports.com[/url], i bought one for my trade rifle and think they take the same barrel.both left and right handed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered my Deerstalker from Lyman on the morning of 9/11.
It's been a great gun.Good for handeling in the Thick Nova Scotia woods.

I know ZACTLY what I would do.

Get a Lyman GPH and put a Green Mountain 54 on it.

You would be too cool to be in the woods.

Headhunter

Back