• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

great squirrel hunt with a good friend.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
my friend keaton invited me to go squirrel hunting on his land. he has never gone squirrel hunting and wanted me to take him. so i agreed oviously because i have been trying to get him more into hunting and i knew his land would have an abundence of squirrels. his grandpa gave him a really cool old 20 guage pump gun that keaton wanted to use. i told him that was fine and that i will be using my 12 guage double barrel muzzleloader. i drove to his house and we went out. after walking for 100 yards or so i decided to take this side trail into the woods. as i was walking i looked up to see a grey tail sticking out from behind the tree. i called keaton over and we got ready. all i could see was its butt, it oviously wasnt going to give us a better shot so i had to shoot. i shot and the squirrel bolted accross a limb. i swung over and gave it the second barrel. it fell out of the tree but still tried to run away. keaton gave it a load from the 20 guage and stopped the squirrels plans of getting away. it was a nice grey squirrel and the first grey i have ever shot. so we walked around more and saw a big pine squirrel but it got away. then we went to visit his grandpa and get something to eat before continuing the hunt. we had a good chat with keatons grandpa and we were refueled from eating buffalo jerky lol. it was time to continue the hunt. we walked down below his house along this fence row. all of a sudden i saw a limb move. i looked over to see a black squirrel run up a little tree ! i told keaton to shoot when he got the chance. well all of a sudden i had a great shot at the black and i wanted to shoot it really bad. so i threw up the double and pulled the trigger. it was an extra loud boom and the squirrel got blown off the tree. i thought wow my gun must pattern good :rotf: well as i walked over to get my prized trophy i looked over and saw keaton jack an empty shell out of his gun. he was very excited and yelled that he had blasted the squirrel. i was puzzled. i said " wait u shot it ?" he said " yes !" i said " but i shot it ? " well we walked up to find this young black squirrel laying there with boat load of holes in it. it had got smacked with a load from my 12 guage muzzleoader and keatons full choke 20 guage at the same time. still we were both really excited at getting the black squirrel. when we looked closer at it we saw that its belly was brown and it had brown hair tips on its back. we guessed it might be a fox squirrel/ black squirrel mix ! ive never shot a cross squirrel and it was really cool to get one if thats wat it is?
09180019181.jpg

right after we picked up the squirrel i looked over to see a big pitch black squirrel run up a tree. i bolted towards it and saw it way up in the tree. i shot and it ran and disappeared. i was disapointed that i didnt use a shotcup when i loaded, sense i would of dropped the squirrel if i had used a shot cup. well as i was reloading i looked in my bag and low and behold there is a bag of paper shotcups that i had forgot where in there. this time i reloaded with a unslit shot cup full of shot. we started walking around when i saw a big fox squirrel go into a leafy banch where it could hide. we got under the tree it was in and i grabbed a grape vine that went directly into where the squirrel was hiding. i shook the grape vine and i saw the squirrel run to the very tip top of the tree and sit there. it was a 35 yard shot straight up. i cocked the hammer of the barrel with the shotcup in it and let loose. the squirrel dropped like a rock. the shotcup makes a world of a difference. here are our trophys.
09180019091.jpg

keaton and i had a great time. we are going to go again in a couple weeks. enjoy SS

Good job and great hunting! Keep it up and let us know how you do. Ooohhhhh, to be younger.....

Snip lives in the Wooster area in Ohio. I am about 65 miles east from him and now we have a bunch of blacks here and grays, don't see as many fox squirrels like before. He's a dandy grandson. Dilly

Yes he is a fine young man Boar and i know you're proud of him, as you should be. :thumbsup: Congrats on a great hunt SS. :hatsoff: You guys keep after them and be safe.I always like to check out your post SS and see what you are up to.It's great to have a good friend to hunt with as well, and even better if he takes you on his place. :wink: Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Way to go there SS. I cut my teeth on squirrel hunting and still enjoy it today. Got a black one when I was about 15. Thanks for sharing with us. :thumbsup:

Back