• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greek Flintlock "Kariophili" dated 1846

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyten

Eastern Miquelets
Reaction score
Not to be confused with the Jezail from Afghanistan, this is a Kariophili from Greece. These were used extensively during the Greek War of Independence in 1821 all the way up until the early 20th century. They are always covered in brass or iron and with a downturned butt. This example has a 31.5 inch smoothbore barrel that measures out to 12 gauge

314338-2D277985-340C-4EA9-95FA-EF540DBE1A78.jpeg

9B289D6A-A814-47EE-B3E0-6583C9BFA919.jpg

Here is a period photo of some Greek "Klephts" with Kariophilis
FB_IMG_1486832058283.jpg

Don't know how I missed this. Nice Karophili Cyten. Yes, this style seemed popular in Greece and some surrounding areas for a long time. They show up in different barrel lengths. The locks show up about 50/50 using both traditional flintlock and miquelet. Greek guns and accessories often bring a premium in the Eastern collectors market.

Rick

Don't know how I missed this. Nice Karophili Cyten. Yes, this style seemed popular in Greece and some surrounding areas for a long time. They show up in different barrel lengths. The locks show up about 50/50 using both traditional flintlock and miquelet. Greek guns and accessories often bring a premium in the Eastern collectors market.

Rick

I was very lucky this was labeled as a "North African Jazail", so I got it for a very good price

Back