• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

green mountain barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coalburner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
found where i can buy a green mountain replacement barrel for my 54 tc hawken for $154.00, is this a good price ?

If new, yes.
Cheapest new one I have found is $170.
Where you shopping.

Track of Wolf has 1" .54 cal. 1-28 twist for 149.95
and 1" .54 cal 1-70 twist for 159.95 all the time.
If your going to only shoot round ball definitely go with the 1-70 twist.

T.O.W.

found where i can buy a green mountain replacement barrel for my 54 tc hawken for $154.00, is this a good price ?

That's not a bad price. Just make sure it is the right barrel. I just checked Midways site and the only .54cal GM IBS barrels they have in stock are 15/16". If your TC Hawken originally came with a .54cal barrel, you need a barrel that is 1" across the flats, not 15/16". And as 44magfan said, GM makes a 1:28" twist barrel and a 1:70" twist barrel. The 1:70" is definitely what you want for shooting round balls.

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but you can put a GM 1" IBS barrel of any caliber on your TC Hawkens stock, even though it originally had a .54cal barrel. .54cal is a great size for big game hunting but you might also want to consider the .58cal. The .58cal would be a bit lighter to carry and the extra energy a .58cal ball carries down range is pretty substancial.

That's not a bad price. Just make sure it is the right barrel. I just checked Midways site and the only .54cal GM IBS barrels they have in stock are 15/16". If your TC Hawken originally came with a .54cal barrel, you need a barrel that is 1" across the flats, not 15/16". And as 44magfan said, GM makes a 1:28" twist barrel and a 1:70" twist barrel. The 1:70" is definitely what you want for shooting round balls.

Also, I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but you can put a GM 1" IBS barrel of any caliber on your TC Hawkens stock, even though it originally had a .54cal barrel. .54cal is a great size for big game hunting but you might also want to consider the .58cal. The .58cal would be a bit lighter to carry and the extra energy a .58cal ball carries down range is pretty substancial.

FWIW...I bought a .58cal x 1:70" GM Flint barrel for a Hawken stock...it still has some pretty good weight to it as it's 33" long...and it's extremely accurate.

But....58cal balls are comparatively very expensive...a box of 50 costs almost the same as a box of 100 .54's...so if you plan to shoot a lot, and don't cast your own, and are not independently wealthy, the .54 would be noticeably more economical to shoot year round...I ran a couple boxes through my .58 to settle on a hunting load and then sight it in...only use it for hunting.
:m2c:

[quoteFWIW...I bought a .58cal x 1:70" GM Flint barrel for a Hawken stock...it still has some pretty good weight to it as it's 33" long...and it's extremely accurate.

But....58cal balls are comparatively very expensive...a box of 50 costs almost the same as a box of 100 .54's...so if you plan to shoot a lot, and don't cast your own, and are not independently wealthy, the .54 would be noticeably more economical to shoot year round...I ran a couple boxes through my .58 to settle on a hunting load and then sight it in...only use it for hunting.
[/quote]

I have a GM .58cal X 1:70: percussion barrel on a Renegade stock and I agree that it has some weight to it, but I also have another Renegade with the same barrel in .54cal and it is about 1/2 lb heavier. They both are superbly accurate barrels, as are the 2 GM .50cal, .45cal and .40cal barrels that I own.

You are correct about the .58 costing more to shoot. I do cast my own balls and get scrap lead for next to nothing so I do forget about the extra expense of the larger calibers for those that buy round balls.

Latest posts

Back