• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain drop in Barrels for T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wondering if these barrels are still available and if anyone has shot then on T/C Hawken or Renegade,how did they perform?

I bought one for my Renegade and it shoots great. I highly recommend these barrels, very accurate, fit the gun well, and easy to clean.

Just wondering if these barrels are still available and if anyone has shot then on T/C Hawken or Renegade,how did they perform?

diamond.jpg

This is from my T/C Renegade with a Green Mountain IBS drop in barrel. 1:70 twist .58 caliber 32" barrel shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball. I wanted to try the new target suggested by Stumpkiller.

I own a number of these barrels and they are all good shooters. You have to be sure of the size you order. Track of the Wolf has the best prices on them. If your Hawkins or Renegade is a .50 caliber factory barrel, measure it. It will probably be a 15/16th size for the IBS. If it is a .54 caliber then it will be the 1" IBS drop in barrel.

I own a number of Green Mountain drop-in barrels for my T/C Hawken rifles, both in 15/16" and 1". Without exception they have all shot well. Below is a picture of an exceptional three shot group I shot at 100 yards using aperture sights and a 1" .40 calibre Green Mountain barrel. This barrel was 38 inches long and very heavy. Obviously this group was fired from sandbags and unfortunately I have not been able to duplicate it again. Though the barrel continues to shoot well.

234818.JPG

I have a couple of GM Flint barrels for TC Hawkens...a .62cal smoothbore and a .58cal round ball...both are great barrels.

(Due to the slight variations in different hawken stocks, you may have to remove the under rib, and slightly trim the end closest to the brass nosecap 1/16" or 1/8" so it'll drop in front of the nose cap OK.

Final Note:
GM drop in barrels come with black thimbles and ramrods so if you're going to put them on a Hawken and want brass thimbles & ramrod to match the rest of the Hawken furniture, you'll need to buy them separately.

I recently bought a Green Mountain barrel for my T/C Hawken 50 cal-- what a difference! For me, the slow-twist GM shoots a much smaller group with PRB than the stock 1:48 twist. The stock barrel shoots maxi-balls great, but for PRB, there's really no contest. I just wish I had gotten the Green Mountain sooner. Plus, I can use the stock barrel for hunting w/ maxi-ball and use the GM for matches without having to monkey around with the sights on either one-- it's almost like having two "specialized" rifles.

My first post, by the way. I've been lurking for a while, but the greatness of Green Mountain barrels is a topic I feel pretty strongly about.

-Chris W.

Glad to hear about the quality of the Green Mountain barrels. That's what I decided to use on the underhammer I'm having built.

If you care to, you can read about it on this thread in builder's bench:
Jimbo's Underhammer

Jimbo

Just bought a 3rd Green Mountain drop in barrel for the TC Renegade. I couldn't happier with their performance.

My first was a .54cal slow twist barrel that is just a tack driver with 90gr. of Goex FFFg. I loved it so much I bought a .32 cal for squirrel hunting. Same results! This week I ordered a .62 cal smoothbore that I plan on loading with #6 shot for turkey hunting.

Great barrel at a great price.:thumbsup:

Now if they would also make them for the LH Renegade or New Englander I would be happy.

Now if they would also make them for the LH Renegade or New Englander I would be happy.

Lefty, it's my experience they'll make just about anything you ask them to...they didn't normally offer .62cal FLINT smoothbore, and .58cal FLINT round ball barrels as drop-ins for the TC Hawken/Renegade...had them make me a flint version of each.

Call and talk to them...can't imagine they wouldn't do it...at a minimum, making a left handed Flint barrel should be easy...all the parts are the same as a right hand barrel except they'd have to drill the vent hole on the opposite side of the breech plug (a percussion might be a problem).
Can't hurt to ask

Do these GM drop ins for T/C come with breech plugs? I would like to have a .36 to go with my .50 which shoots just about perfect--- but I need a squirrel barrel.

The Green Mountain IBS barrels come fully equiped. Some of the rifles have to be adjusted to a degree or the barrel themselves, to make them fit, but once they are in they are fully operational and of excellent quality in my opinion. They come with the breech plug, thimbles, ramrod, even the nipple comes with it if memory serves me.

roundball,
I did call them last fall and was told they did not make an IBS LH. Maybe I should have asked what they would charge just to make .54 LH for my New Englandner. I am greedy, have a LH .54 Renegade, just also want one for the New Englandner to go with the .50 and the 12ga., then maybe a .36. Wow, I got to stop somewhere.
Thanks,

I have a .54 TC Hawken that I bought a .32 Green Mountain barrel for. The GM barrel actually fits better than the OEM .54 TC barrel. Accuracy is superb. It will always put 5 balls into an inch or less @ 25 yards with 25-30 grains FFF. Great bench rifle, but heavy to carry with that tiny .32 cal hole in that big hunk o' steel.

Back