• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings All

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john s mosby

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in South Eastern Pa, just a few miles from Lancaster. I've had muzzle loaders most of the last 40 years. I started out with an old shotgun and ended up doing 12 years in the NSSA, I used an original Enfield three band that was cut back to a two band, still have it.
I just got a Traditions Pa Flintlock Rifle. I don't shoot much anymore, eyes aren't that good. I've been thinking about going to the eye dr and see if he can make me a pair of glasses that'll work for shooting.
Also have a repro 44 Colt Revolver.
I just retired last month and have the time now to mess around with guns again. The kids are all grown and gone now. The grandkids I can spoil and send home when they start to bug me.
I've been reading the posts on this site and the information is great.
One question I have, if I want to post pictures on this site can I do it from my computer or does it have to be from an online site? Most of my photos are on the PictureTrail online site.

Welcome!

The images have to be hosted on an Internet site, so your PictureTrail site should be OK. Click on the word "Image" that's just to the lower right next to the Font Color grid and then copy and paste your images' address in the line that appears.

Mosby, that reminds me of a nice little restaurant with really good food. Welcome to the forum. Let me know if you can smell the chocolate, that will tell me how close we are. Retirement, that sounds like something I have been contemplating for the last 20 years :haha: Hang around this place long enough and look at some of Zonie's and Herb's guns and you may end up wanting to build one of your own. If that be the case, maybe we will see you at Dixon's one day. Take care.
Zman

John S. Mosby,
glad you found us & welcome to the forum!!
lots of good people and information here.
again welcome and stay active,
I am snake-eyes :thumbsup: :) :peace:

Zman
I live in New Providence, that's about 8 miles South of Lancaster, a bit too far to smell that chocolate up there in E Town.
I did try my hand at building a muzzle loader many years ago. I found a Tower flint lock pistol barrel at a gun show for $2, a drum and nipple from Dixie, a lock from a muzzle loading shotgun and a block of cherry wood. Can't remember where I got the trigger guard. It wasn't a pretty pistol but it worked.
What is Dixon's?

If I was as good as Musketman or Stumpkiller with this computer, I would give you the direct link. But since I just suffer through using this computer, try[url] dixonmuzzleloading.com[/url]. The next time you come up with an excuse to go to Cabela's at Hamburg/Reading, go an extra 15 miles on Route 78 to exit 40 (I think) and stop buy Dixon's. They have anything from production guns to custom built guns to parts to build your own to supplies to shoot plus clothing, books and advice. They also hold a gunmakers fair every July that is definetly worth taking a day off from work. If you look under either Public events or general interest sections, there are several postings for Dixon's.
Zman

Last edited by a moderator:
I know where Cabela's is. I'll check Dixon's out if I get up that way. I'll try to find them online too.
Thanks.

Thanks for your help. I found it online. Looks like I need to find some reason to get up that way.

Hi John,

Was in your area last month when I stayed at Carlisle. Went to Lancaster and visited Edward Hand's grave as well as I Corps Maj. General Reynolds. Wish I had time to visit their historical society.

PA is pretty and there's plenty of F-I, Am Rev & late unpleasantness (ACW) history there.

Gary

You're right about Lancaster County. I went to a neat muzzle loading woods walk today. Didn't shoot but got some nice pictures.
I do plan on getting back into flint lock shooting. I have a rifle, but need all the other stuff yet.

Back