• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from Lubbock, Texas!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digitaldave

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been shooting since the early 1960s, but I'm new to the world of charcoal burning. I recently purchased a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield musket, and I realize almost nothing I know of firearms applies to this piece.
I look forward to shedding a little light in the darkness of my inexperience.
Happy to be here and willing to learn!

Howdy from up here on the Red River. Muskets are a tough muzzleloader to start with. I started with CVA, TC etc. muzzleloaders 30 yrs before trying a musket.
Most muskets shoot their best with a snug fitting minie ball. The grooves are very shallow, designed for the minie, and they do poorly with a patched round ball.
Some surprise you, but most disappoint with round ball.
There is plenty of info re. shooting all kinds of front loaders here.

Howdy from up here on the Red River. Muskets are a tough muzzleloader to start with. I started with CVA, TC etc. muzzleloaders 30 yrs before trying a musket.
Most muskets shoot their best with a snug fitting minie ball. The grooves are very shallow, designed for the minie, and they do poorly with a patched round ball.
Some surprise you, but most disappoint with round ball.
There is plenty of info re. shooting all kinds of front loaders here.
Thanks for the info. I picked the 1861 Springfield as a starting point for my collection of U.S. cartridge-firing battle rifles. You really need to see the 1861 to understand the Trapdoor Springfield design.

I love the 61 Springfield! I have kind of the same collection going. Looking for a Krag now. Still love my flinters the most! My family in Edgewood Texas comes in 2nd! Welcome from Idaho! "Est Perpetua"!

Latest posts

Back