• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greywolf??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yar999

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all!
Anyone know what happened to graywolf.
I need to know about the medusa he was building
Servus Ray

Ray:

Hi all!
Anyone know what happened to graywolf.
I need to know about the medusa he was building

I am guessing you mean the fellow who builds Handgonnes. He had a falling out with his partner so he had to put production on hold while he bought some machinery for the metal work. He told me that production should be back up by the Autumn.

You can contact him by his E-Mail at [email protected] or his phone number at 413-543-3709.

The[url] Handgonnes.com[/url] site is still up at it's backup loaction at http://216.110.181.227/index.htm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent him an invitation to join the forum a few weeks ago. He told me he'll check it out when he has time, but right now he's very busy re-organizing his business and setting up his new website. In the meantime, he told me that sometime in May a new book will be out called "Gunpowder", by Jack Kelly (not the same Jack Kelly that was in the news recently for plagiarism). Greywolf helped him do the research for the book. He didn't really give me much in the way of details, but I think it's about the history of the invention and early use of gunpowder. Look for it soon.

Squirrelsaurus Rex:

Here is a description that I found on Gunpowder by Jack Kelly:

Gunpowder first emerged from the ancient Chinese alchemical experiments to usurp the sword, spear and arrow in war, the pick and shovel in working the earth. Francis Bacon ranked its importance with the printing press and the magnet as substances that "have changed the whole face and state of things throughout the world." From the intrepid Vasco da Gama, to the brilliant Antoine Lavoisier, known as the father of modern chemistry, from the glory of Cortes to the genius of E.I DuPont, the history of gunpowder is filled with notable figures--as well as ordinary soldiers, sailors, gunners, miners, and powdermen who also played a role in this epic story. With thrilling immediacy, Jack Kelly takes readers to look over the alchemist's shoulder and descend into the coal pit with the miner who fills hand-drilled holes with explosive powder; tread the deck of the heaving man-of-war as sailors haul gunpowder from the hold; stand with soldiers as cannons turn the battlefield into a roaring nightmare; and go behind the scenes with pyrotechnicians who use centuries-old methods to light up the skies with fire. When Chinese alchemists fashioned the first man-made explosion sometime during the tenth century, no one could have foreseen its full revolutionary potential. Invented to frighten evil spirits rather than fuel guns or bombs--neither of which had been thought of yet--their simple mixture of saltpeter, sulfur, and charcoal went on to make the modern world possible. As word of its explosive properties spread from Asia to Europe, from pyrotechnics to battleships, it paved the way for Western exploration, hastened the end of feudalism and the rise of the nation state, and greased the wheels of theIndustrial Revolution. With dramatic immediacy, novelist and journalist Jack Kelly conveys both the distant time in which the "devil's distillate" rose to conquer the world, and brings to rousing life the eclectic cast of characters who played a role in its epic story, including Michelangelo, Edward III, Vasco da Gama, Cortez, Guy Fawkes, Alfred Nobel, and E.I. DuPont. A must-read for history fans and military buffs alike, "Gunpowder brings together a rich terrain of cultures and technological innovations with authoritative research and swashbuckling style.

Just figured you'd like to know. ::

Kerrect me if'n I'm wrong, but there is some considerable speculation that the Chinese did NOT discover what we know today as black gun powder. They did use it, however they were quite slow to understand it's importance as both a weapon and a tool. Instead the Chinese used the stuff for hundreds of years as fireworks. and did not udnerstand it's military poetential.
Lemme know. Inquiring minds and all that.

Origins of gun powder????
"c.1200, Middle East
DEVELOPMENT OF FLASHING POWDER

Saltpetre, the principal ingredient of Black Powder first appears in the writings of Arabian, Abd Allah, in 1200.
Descriptions of fireworks, "Roman Candles", and flash powder are brought from China to the West by traders. The first to do so was not Marco Polo, since he did not return to Venice until 1299. As well, it would not have been his father nor uncle, whose voyage to the orient preceded his. They did not return from Cathay, after failing to gain an audience with the ruler, until 1269.
At the time of the Polos' journeys, China's ruler, was the Mongol, Kublai's Khan. His brother, Hugul, was the ruler of Persia, the eastern extent of the Mongol empire. The trade route between these points, both by land and sea, was already soundly in place by the time of the Polos. Across this route, and between the courts of its rulers continual government and diplomatic exchange took place.
Thus an EXCHANGE of technical information was entirely possible, and to the purpose of maintaining that empire, far exceeding just probable. Whether such technology originated in China, or in the Middle East, is still open to some question.
The fact that no "arms", nor high power explosives were mentioned by the Polos as late as 1299, yet Arabic works exist describing Black Powder prior to their journeys, strongly suggests that Black Powder was of Arabic and not Chinese invention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

c.1250, Middle East
DESCRIPTION OF BLACK POWDER BY MARCUS GRAECUS

In Liber Ignum (The Book of Fire), Marcus Graecus describes Saltpeter and gun powder (but not by that name). Liber Ignum mentions both propulsive uses, as in rockets, and explosive uses, as in guns.
This work is probably a translation, or more properly, and adaptation of an Arabic work of the time that made its way into the "Roman" world via Contantinople.
Remember, this is the time of Richard I of England, and the Third Crusade. Many material objects that were "liberated" from the Moslem held Holy Lands, returned with the warriors to their home lands, or fell into the hands of The Church. The Church, or those connected with it, was nearly the sole source of written material in the Western world at this time.
By one of these routes the knowledge of Black Powder, or this particular work, became available to both Roger Bacon and Albertus Magnus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1268, England
DESCRIPTION BY ROGER BACON
In Opus Majus, Sir Francis Bacon described the explosion of Black Powder. Scientist that he was, he was undoubtedly describing the stuff he had made himself. However, it wasn't until a few years later that later he specifically listed the composition 7/5/5 of KNO/S/C."
Ahhh, fer what it's worth. :winking:

I wonder what gets into those peoples heads.......Hay man lets see if this camel turd will burn.......Ka BOOM!......nope I guess not.....It just comes apart real fast with lot of smoke........ :haha: :haha: :haha:.....I'm sorry just dry humor.......john.......

Back