• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grizzly Adams T.V. Sho

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know that this is cheezy, but when I was growing up in the 70's, I loved to watch this show. I was only five when the show started running and it usually led to me playing in the yard with a "coon skin" cap. In the show, the main character had a mountain man, trapper friend (played by Denver Pyle). This trapper was called "Mad Jack". I remember that Mad Jack carried a rifle and had a pack mule with him. Does anybody remember anything about that rifle? I have googled the show and tried to find some pictures, but have not had any success.

Can't help ya there. I was in my teens when this show came out and I remember it being blatantly anti-hunting or at least came off that way to me.

I remember that show as a kid. We all watched it but you are right, it did have an anti hunting message. The true James Capen " Grizzly" Adams went west from his home in Charlton Massachusetts to the gold fields of California. He orginally like many easterners went for a chance at fortune. He didn't do well but he did have a talent, hunting and trapping bears. He hunted bears for the bounty and trapped them live for circuses and shows. This whole " I eat blueberry pancakes" with the bears is a crock of you know what. He didn't want to commune with them, he wanted to make a profit off of them.

The truth of running from the law is a fact but I don't know the details of it all.

If you drive down Rte 31 north and take a right onto Mugget Hill Road there is a cemetary where he is interred.

I thought at the beginning of the show (which they didn't show much) he was said to be running from being charged "with crimes he didn't commit" ?? Sorry, don't remember anything about the gun. It was only aimed for a split second before Grizzly Adams put his hand on it and pointed it to the ground.... I remember rumors that G.A. was pulled over soon after the show stopped and he threw a packet "of a white powder" out the passenger window (?-not sure if this was true or not).

I remember "Number Seven" the mule. and Ol' Mad Jack. I remember a scene which was hard to remember EXACTLY after all these years what it was that Jack was holding.Most of the time, Jack's rifle was covered in a indian rifle scabbard with long fringes. But once, he had it out and was relacing the stock on it while sitting on the front of Adam's cabin. I remember it was a halfstock. And I believe it was one of those old CVA Hawken rifles that used to be popular in the 70's as kits. I remember seeing them at my local SEARS all the time in the sporting goods dept. I aint 100% sure. But I'm about 85% sure thats what it was. :hmm:

The rifle is covered in this scene. Seems to make a good walking stick though. Didn't know mountain men used skises!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkOl6ptMGZQ[/youtube]

Here is the intro to the show. You can see Adams rifle in this clip.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYKUe51zpdg&feature=related[/youtube]

When I was a kid I liked the Disney "Davey Crockett" shows. Do you remember the old Northwest Passage tv show?
Grizz Adams was kind of a kiddy show or family type show like Little House on the Prairie. It was ok for what it was. My little kids liked it.

wwpete,
Well I liked all them outdoor theme shows.
Grizzly Adams,Davey Crockett,Daniel Boone.
At the time I watched them,I never thought of hunting as wrong,it was just something my father
thought me and I assumed was right and to this day
still believe in.
I never considered those shows anything but pro-outdoor shows, and in part they have made me the outdoorsman I am today along with my dad.My
son has picked up on it and I am proud to say is
a better outdoorsman & hunter than myself.
I would never let him know that.He knows
the only difference is patience.....He has it,
and I lost it.
snake-eyes :hmm:

wwpete52 said:
Grizz Adams was kind of a kiddy show or family type show like Little House on the Prairie. It was ok for what it was.

Thats pretty much how I remember this too. I enjoyed it as a kid and never looked at it as being anti-hunting back then. I think this show was partly responsible for getting me started trapping as a kid. I always enjoyed Davey Crocket and Little House on the Prarie too. Around that same time frame, I would just about do a back-flip when Jeremiah Johnson was played on broadcast TV. I would be standing at the TV doing my job as the "remote control", flipping between our 3 or 4 channels. When Jeremiah was shown, about once a year, it didn't matter what else was on, we watched Jeremiah!

Well...how many remember the little anti-hunting program that aired in 1973(?) if I remember right, "The Guns of Autumn"? That was my first bad taste of the anti- hunting crowd growing up and it got my radar up and running. So when shows like this came out, I saw the massage loud and clear.

"The Guns of Autumn"?
yup...remember it well...can still see them draggin an shootin the whitetail :shake: first antihuntin show i remember seein..weren't purdy...and too many people seen it... :(

:youcrazy: :shake: The bear had it right on that show. It went through each show spounding like it was trying to say uh oh!
I remember one particular episode Adams was intercepted coming down a mountain carrying a bag full of rocks, well the situation required a trip back up the mountain, which had nothing to do with the bag of rocks. So instead of putting the rocks down he takes off back up the mountain still lugging the rocks to god knows where?! :youcrazy: :youcrazy:

S

Back