• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ground blind I was in when the 4 pointer stopped next to me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Way back in the very center of the photo see the cluster of small green pines stuck into the ground all around the large tree...was sitting down inside it when the 4 pointer walked up and stood 15 feet from it on the right side for over 10 minutes.

10-15 yards behind me from where I took this picture is a deep drainage ditch where there's a natural deer trail crossing...the blind is about 30 yards from the crossing

111907DitchBlind-FrontViewCrp.jpg

Roundball,
You just take that picture?When is all of the leaves finally off of the trees.Our leaves are pretty well had the Biscuit except for the odd Oak leaf.

Halftail said:
Roundball,
You just take that picture?When is all of the leaves finally off of the trees.Our leaves are pretty well had the Biscuit except for the odd Oak leaf.
Just took it today...our foliage peak is usually mid November, leaves start coming off and are usually gone by December, or shortly thereafter.
Record setting drought this year may have added a few days delay as well, dunno.

You can see some turned a dull red...and a few of the greens are actually evergreen holly trees and leaves don't change of course.

And without question, for me it is the most beautiful and enjoyable time of year to be in the woods...and if I didn't hunt I swear I'd still go some and just sit there
:thumbsup:

Kirrmeister said:
A nice place!

So you had no chance to shoot?

Regards

Kirrmeister
Actually I didn't...he was on my right side and I'm right handed...and only 15 feet away he would have heard the slightest rustle of clothing if I tried to turn and shoot...would have been in the next county before I could have gotten the Flintlock up!! But he was not a shooter...would not have shot if I could have...he was a young 1.5 year old, small 4 pointer...(4 points total, 2 per side)...if he survives the season he might have bigger 6 or 8 point rack next year :grin:

Great spot.
Nothing better then being in the woods this time of year or any time as far as that goes.

[/quote]
But he was not a shooter...would not have shot if I could have...he was a young 1.5 year old, small 4 pointer...(4 points total, 2 per side)...if he survives the season he might have bigger 6 or 8 point rack next year :grin: [/quote]

Roundball
I like your way of thinking. I would have done the same. Let them grow another year. It makes them worth shooting then :thumbsup:

roundball said:
...would not have shot if I could have...he was a young 1.5 year old, small 4 pointer...(4 points total, 2 per side)...if he survives the season he might have bigger 6 or 8 point rack next year :grin:

I wish everybody would think like that. If everyone would just let 'em grow up for a couple of years, everyone would shoot big bucks.

Lets all be honest, most every deer hunter dreams of shooting a BIG racked buck. Problem is, they go out and shoot the first antlered deer they see instead. Usually a 1 1/2 year old basket rack. Given another couple 3 years he mighta been a monster...

They say, "Well, if I didn't shoot him, somebody else would have".
Maybe, maybe not. If they hadn't shot him, he MIGHT have made it thru the season. Since they DID shoot him, he never will.

Or they say, "I'm a meat hunter".
I want to know why didn't they just shoot one of the big legal does that was with the yearling buck they shot.

Last weekend was the first half of the Illinois firearm season. Opening day was a good one for me. I had 22 deer within shooting range that day. From 10 to 100 yards. 6 of those deer were bucks. 4 yearlings and two 2 1/2 year olds. The rest were does.

I'm hunting a big buck. I let all of those deer walk. It's the only way to get the big ones. I was tempted to go ahead and shoot a doe, but then I wouldn't be hunting until that was taken care of. Those bucks were completely safe around me.

I have the luxury of hunting where there are lots of deer and some big ones too. But we have a short season. 10 days total if you get both firearm AND muzzleloader tags. If I had a longer season or there were a lot less deer, I would have shot the first doe I could. Probly woulda shot one of those 2 1/2 year old bucks on the last day too...

For now, I'm still huntin' the biggun. Next weekend we get 4 more days to try. Then I gotta hope I can get(draw) in a (public) place that I haven't hunted in 15+ years for the following weekend of ML only. My ML tags are for a different county.

Keep lettin' the lil guys walk. Sooner or later they'll come back around with a big rack. :thumbsup:

my neighbor hunts as well as his brother and dad (now passed on) - they all fell out of tree stands, his dad was bad hurt. I'll use one that has been built in the tree(s) but not a ladder or climber at any height.

Blizzard of 93 said:
my neighbor hunts as well as his brother and dad (now passed on) - they all fell out of tree stands, his dad was bad hurt. I'll use one that has been built in the tree(s) but not a ladder or climber at any height.
Overe the past couple years I sold my climber and 6 Loc-Ons that I had accumulated during my bow-hunting years...don't need them or the risk, for shooting muzzleloaders.

Sitting on the ground is so much more comfortable, warmer, out of the wind, can see underneath the tree limbs & leaves, thermos by my side, etc...if I doze off the worst thing that happens is a flop over into the leaves.

However, I do need one stand and bought a 'magnum' (heavy duty-oversize) steel ladder stand for this year that I use in one place where the wind constantly shifts direction...and I left out one of the ladder sections so the platform is only at 8'...strapped and chained to the tree it's solid as a rock...has side rails, arm rests, foot rest, it's the safest most comfortable stand I've ever used.

Jethro, I agree with you and do as you do. I enjoy the hunt, more than anything. I have let so many bucks past me, I can't even count. As an avid bowhunter, I am pretty close to the ones I see, to get a good look at them. This year I have passed up a small eight, small four and and even smaller 12ptr., plus numerious does All these deer will be good bucks in a few years, so I am looking for their daddy now. I have taken a doe, when I haven't tagged a deer in a number of years and want the meat. But the hunt for me and being out there, is what it is all about.Kind of fun to play with their minds. Give a grunt call to a small buck and watch him bale out of there. Give a grunt to a larger buck and watch him get nervious. Give a grunt call to a huge buck and watch him come over to pick a fight. Give a doe blat and they all seem to want to see who it is.

Back