• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun grade pyrite source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teleoceras

45 Cal.
Reaction score
FYI to those Wheellock shooters out there.

I know of one dealer of gun grade pyrite, Peter Dyson and Son, LTD at http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/. Just go to Flintlock Accessories on the website and then scroll down.

They sell a good quality rock. I have used some on my Wheellock (Sparky) with pretty good results.

Tele,
ain't bein' a pyrite illegal? The used to hang pyrites and burn the pyrite ships in the old days. :haha: :haha:
Bawwww-hawwwwwwwwwwww. I crack me up! :bull:

And they mine the pyrite in a town near Cornwall, England.

Yep, it's the Pyrites of Penzance... :haha: :winking:

Nice link: I added it... :winking:

Here is native pirite...
pyrite.jpg

Hey stumpkiller, ain't that a pyrite flag as your logo?
R me hearties.
Bawwwwwwwwww-hawwwwwwwwww, I really crack me up! :haha:

I can find pyrite,what I need is someone who can cut it in the shape of a flint.I have used chunks of pyrite that I have whacked into more useable sizes.The chunks usually crumble after two to five shots.I know the guys in the 16th and 17th centuries had thier pyrites in that shape for a reason.They probably had a better usage rate per pyrite.If anyone has a source or knows how to do it themselves,please let me know.Thanks

You can trim pyrites neatly with a diamond saw...
Get in touch with someone who does lapidary (they won't like cutting it tho' because of the sulfur smell it gives off! )

You could try a diamond saw bit on a dremel tool as well, just be aware you need water cooling or else you ruin the saw pretty quick...

I remember a friend buying pyrites wholesale from a rock dealer a few years back... I think it was $AUD8 for a 1 litre box (64 cubic inches) of tumbled pyrites

Actually, I had the fun of rummaging through the pyrite box of a local rock shop for Tele awhile back looking for usable pieces for his wheel locks. What's needed are the pieces that are covered with the small, salt grain sized pieces in the main medium. The large, solid pieces are really tough on the wheels and can wear down the wheels pretty quick, as I understand. So far, I've just been the picker!

Back