• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunning fo Wabbit!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't get down to this forum as much as the others, but a change is in the air. So, you've probably dealt with this a hundred times before, but I'm gonna give it to you again: What do you hunt rabbit with, a smoothbore or small caliber rifle? If you use a smoothie, what shot size?

I've shot them with just about every muzzleloader I own. Large caliber with reduced charges (30-35 grains of 3f) is perfect for head smacking. I smack heads with the small cals too, both 32 and 36. In those 20 grains of 3f is starting to feel like too much, because if the shot wanders down into the neck it not only just about takes the head off, it also bloodshoots the whole front shoulders.

In smoothies I've come to rely on nothing smaller than #6, and I like #5 better. Howcum? Because anything smaller than #6 leaves a lot of pellets behind for your dentist to worry about, and I prefer #5 for a little less pattern density so fewer pellets land home, but even one almost anywhere in the critter will do a good job of anchoring a bunny.

My little 28ga fowler works fine with 55gr 2F and ¾ oz #6 or #4 for cottontails or squirrel. For jack rabbit I like my .45 Navy Morse w/ 45gr & PRB.
Jon

I use a ball out my 58 smooth barrels but get close or I just shoot 1oz of what ever but prefere 5s. One noticable difference with shot from a ML is it won't splatter the guts like a modern shot shell will!
A good retrieving dog is handy if they make cover.

Enjoy.

Brits.

.32 PRB with 15gr. 3F Swiss or 3/4=1oz. of copper plated #4/5 shot with 2-2.5 drams of 1.5 Swiss in my fowler. Both loads are very effective and easy shooting with minumal damage to the meat! :thumbsup:

My preference is a Thompson Center Big Boar .58 caliber and I back that up with my neighbors 90 lb. Labrador Retriever, who goes by the name of Bruno. The Big Boar's good up close and Bruno just gets in the way.

I prefer smoothbores for rabbits, although I have used small bore rifles.

My current favorite smoothbore is a 20-gauge flintlock fowler, but all rabbit hunting is good. :grin:

:hatsoff:
Spot

Jethro224 said:
12ga New Englander with a 70g 2F / 1oz #5 load works real well. :thumbsup:

I'm with Jethro224, but I use 1-1/4 oz of #5 and 70 gr FFg.

Bald Mt. Man lives down the road (also uses a New Englander) and we sometimes get together to annoy the bunnies AND beagles ("What, you missed again? Stupid human.")

HPIM0535s.jpg

Back