• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunnison Area?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Am going to be spending three or four days in Gunnison in mid March and wondered if anyone on the board knows which would be a good direction to head in just in case there is time to blow some white smoke at the local 'yotes?

Last time I was in Gunnison country was in the early '80's so it's almost new country to me even though I hunted a few days there back then.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome! :)

marmotslayer said:
Am going to be spending three or four days in Gunnison in mid March and wondered if anyone on the board knows which would be a good direction to head in just in case there is time to blow some white smoke at the local 'yotes?

Last time I was in Gunnison country was in the early '80's so it's almost new country to me even though I hunted a few days there back then.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome! :)

Hay Marmotslayer give me a call when you get here.
970-209-8925
as it stands we have so much snow that the DOW has shut down all hunting until may 1st because we are about to lose 50 percent of our deer herd and any human activity will put undo stress on them.
I have been part of the feeding programe and it's dismal.
I live in the backcountry and sled past herds of starving deer and elk.
The yotie hunting if allowed would be very good.
They are living fat off the remains and are every where.

DSCF2991.jpg

DSCF2994.jpg

DSCF2997-1.jpg

DSCF3001.jpg

The last pic is of a ass shot bull that died two weeks ago.
The Dow woulden't put it down just let it starve hopeing some dingdong would kill it and take his rack so they could bust them under the "Samson law" and put thousand in their pocket.
It created a huge manure storm and a lot of negitive feelings towards the DOW

I have been hearing how bad it has been in the Gunnison basin for the deer and elk. Sad deal! Hopefully we will have a early spring and we won't lose to many.
That's a crappy deal, about that bull. Where's the compassion DOW? It's not all about money but it sure seems that all most states DOW & Game & Fish Departmants think about anymore or maybe the wildlife commissions are the ones who that need to be blamed.

Right now our biggest worry is that it will take the DOW fifteen years to admit that our deer numbers are down low enough to go to a very limited draw.
In 1984 we lost huge numbers of deer to a winter much like this one.
Instead of going to a draw the next year they dragged their feet for fifteen years saying the low numbers were do to coyotes :youcrazy:
Once they went to a limited draw it took only three years to recover.
I was luckly enough to draw a buck tag three years in.
I arrowed a two hundred class five year old.
Now several years after they first implimented the draw they are giving away so many tags a two hundred class buck is hard to find :bull:

DSCF2224-1.jpg

That's a nice looking buck on your wall!

The pics sure tell the story of the deer and elk dilemma. Hopefully we'll get past the spring without too much loss.

There's talk about problems in Middle Park and NW around Craig too. Both favorite areas of mine :(

Still not sure how much time I'll have in Gunnison. Right now it looks like I'll arrive sometime thursday the 13th and may have most of Friday to goof off. Depends on the women folk since the occasion is my Daughter's wedding. Never know what they will think up for me to do! :)

I'll give you a call if there will be any time for "fun" stuff :wink: Thanks for the offer.

sure thing marmotslayer,
bring your favorite smoke pole and if you fly fish bring that, our rivers may be opening up by then.
And if not we can go ice fishing.

Greenmtnboy said:
sure thing marmotslayer,
bring your favorite smoke pole and if you fly fish bring that, our rivers may be opening up by then.
And if not we can go ice fishing.

DSCF3113.jpg

Back