• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ha Ha Ha, It had to happen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhwestfall

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Out hunting yesterday in our (New York) last day of the "Late Season" - BP and Archery. Decided on taking the flintlock as I really have wanted to take an animal with it. It had been working pretty well in my range sessions, and when I had done my "ceremonial unload" at the edge of the field each time I have exited the woods this season (3 times this season). So, wouldn't you know it, I get a doe at 40 yards, broadside, and what happens? KLATCH!!!!! :cursing: Of all times, why then? Guess thats what makes it called "hunting" season, and not "killing". I'm not overly upset, too many other things in my life to keep me stressed. Was a great day (but a tad bit cold at 14 degrees).

FWIW - what is it that makes you decide - time to knap or change that flint? :hmm:

Swamp Rat said:
FWIW - what is it that makes you decide - time to knap or change that flint?

Hunting season. Brand new flint goes in the night before the season starts.
Same here...and I don't care about trying to get long life out of a hunting flint...after every shot at significant game like a deer or turkey, I use a brass rod to re-knapp a fresh sharp edge...squirrels, crows, doves, etc, I don't care but for the next shot at a deer or turkey I never want to have a ker-latch...so far, so good

Yup, like the others, a fresh flint goes in the cock jaws for deer season. I'll pop the other one I've been using for range sessions back in after the season is over.

My first deer hunt ever was up in the wilderness area on the NC & Tn border. This was over 30 years ago. It was before NC had the orange law.
I was in full primitive gear, Mocs, buckskin pants and shirt wearing a big red Hudson's Bay capote that I sewed up myself. I was using a Dixie Gun Works Brown Bess kit that I cobbled together. I was setting 25 yards from a deer trail
cut down to the rock! I had the hood up on the capote. I heard a shot 100 yards downrange and the biggist buck I have ever seen ( since also! )
came running down this trail. There was a line of bushes at the top of the little ridge I was setting on. I could tell the buck was using this trail and he was slowing down fast after about 50 yards from the shot. When the buck went out of sight behind the bushes I readed myself. I pulled the hood over as far as it would go and I took a dead bead on the spot where the deers rib cage would show up. With the hood pulled up I had absulute tunnel vision on my sight picture, and I made like a statue. In a few minutes I could hear the deers steps as he approached my position. In what seemed like a lifetime the deers rib cage came into my sight picture. I squeezed the trigger
and a loud KLATCH was heard ( ever heard a Brown Bess lock klatch in total silence! ) This monster buck did not know what had got him! He was just standing in the same spot jumping up and down! He regained his composure and and was turning on the after burners when I cocked and dropped the frizzen. I had a Texas heart shot for about 35 yards when the big lock flashed in the pan!!!
Of course when I got it back to camp and put a milk jug full of water out at 30 yards, I blew it to smithereens!! So started my Smoothbore curse.
Since then if I hunt with a smoothbore I only see deer at 150 yards. When I take a rifle I see them at 30 yards. Guess which firelock I take deer with! You ain't the long ranger on deer Klatches!

You fine fellows from Texas, a friend of mine from Texas tought me that phrase for going away shot. No disrespect meant at all!!
:bow:

Swamp Rat said:
FWIW - what is it that makes you decide - time to knap or change that flint?

Hunting season. Brand new flint goes in the night before the season starts.

Same here every time, always put a brand new flint in when going hunting..........

:thumbsup:

"Texas heart shot"! :rotf:

I'm adding that to my list of idioms.

NO, not "idiots".

I like TX--us TN folks contributed heavily to the population back when. (GTT)

I "klatched" a deer with a modern gun this year. The lever on my single-shot was partially down and CLICK!!!. Bucks don't like clicks and clatches. :shake:

My buddies get on me all the time about hunting with a flinter during rifle season, they just can't figure how it will go off..

I've told them many times, with a good sharp flint and dry powder it will go off every time...
Of course you do need to teach the touch hole open as well, but I still think it's just that simple...

I went out the other day, last day of muzzle loading season here. Took my .54 GPR flinter. Placed a new flint in and loaded it for the days hunt. Opened the frizzen every so often to check the prime. Hunted all day and never saw a buck or a doe. At the end of the day it was time to unload. Took aim at an embankment and pulled the trigger. KLATCH!! And with a brand new flint! I closed the frizzen and pulled the cock back and tried again. This time...KABOOOOM! Even though I didn't see anything, it's nice to know my first shot would have been a dud :rotf: .

BobW said:
FWIW - what is it that makes you decide - time to knap or change that flint? :hmm:

Look at your flint, are the edges rounded off? If yes, it's time to knap or replace.

Are there missing flakes large enough to see on the leading edge of the flint? If yes, time to knap or replace.

Is the flint hitting the frizzen squarely? In no, realign the flint, otherwise you could get weak spark or break a flint off.

Does the flint's leading edge still feel sharp to the touch? (careful not to slice your finger) If not, time to knap or replace.

Is the flint loose in the jaws? If yes, tighten the jaw screw snuggly, a loose flint can slide back into the jaws once fired and cause little or no sparks.

Is the flint and/or frizzen's face dirty? Oil, powder fouling and dirt can cause the flint to not spark properly. Care must be taken when cleaning off the flint, it will cut you.

I put in a new flint from Rich Pierce this fall and hunted several days for squirrels got around a dozen and loaded up for deer season used same flint and it went boom a month later,I wil put in a used flint for deer if it has not had many shots on it

Latest posts

Back