• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Half Stock Fowlers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mart

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have noticed or maybe I haven't looked enough, that one doesn't see much of anything in the way of half stock fowlers. Were they not produced much or perhaps not popular. I saw one in an article in Successful Hunter, a Holland 20 gauge flint that has caught my wandering eye. Just pondering I suppose, but was curious if some of you fellows could educate me.

Can someone explain a german guy what a fowler is? The diconaries I´ve used brought no useful result...

Fowlers were more or less trade guns evolved to better balanced shotguns, they are smooth bored.
The stock is designed to come to point, when raised to the shoulder. Where as a rifle stock, of flint and early percussion did not do as well.
Check at"www.trackofthewolf.com" under guns flintlock and you will see a good example of an English fowler.
Best Regards
Old Ford

To me, the term fowler refers to a fowling piece ”“ i.e. a shotgun mainly for use in bird shooting (i.e. shooting fowls)
Evolved from trade guns hey”¦”¦the whirring noise you can hear is Joseph Manton turning in his grave!

Herz aus Stahl said:
Can someone explain a german guy what a fowler is? The diconaries I´ve used brought no useful result...

What we call a shot gun nowadays was called a fowler in the 18th and early 19th century. They were for shooting Fowl. But, just like modern shotguns one may load with a bore size ball and get some deer or moose with the same gun.
A trade gun is just a cheaper fowler for the indian trade.

Lots of 1/2 stock 18th century fowling guns. The Brits started making them in the 1760's, and the Euros probably 30 years before that.
The fowling gun DID NOT evolve from the trade gun.....I'll be in shock the rest of the day..... :shake: :winking:
Here's a nice British example by Robbins Ca. 1780's. It's a full 1" at the flared muzzle, the bore is abbout a 6 bore. It's 1 1/2" at the breech. I can't remember how long the barrel is, but I think about 38". This gun handles just like a modern shotgun.
rob1.jpg

Some great info. Thanks. I have been rereading the July/August edition of Successful Hunter in which an article appears about hunting a swan with the 200 year old fowler. I am quite taken with the trim lines of the little gun. I believe I will have to put a half stock fowler on the want list, maybe a 16 guage. Of course then I would have to build a birch bark canoe so I could float a local river to jump shoot ducks or perhaps take a moose. I would probably be shunned if I had a nice little flintlock fowler and took it out in a Coleman Scanoe. :winking:

Remember to use non-toxic shot, to comply with Federal regulations when hunting any waterfowl. And check the game regulations. Shooting Swans is not legal in my state.

It's amazing that even with such a huge barrel the maker managed to keep the lines rather graceful! Any idea what that gun weighs?

I have a whole bunch of pictures of this gun that I plan on posting with a little article explaining what this gun is all about. It's quite rare in this configuration. Finding the time to pull it all together is the issue. I'll get it together this fall.

Its a beauty thanks :thumbsup:

I am slowly teaching myself how to checker along with everything else :haha:

i have a pedersoli mortimer that would fit that description.. its 12 guage, and would be a wonderful gun if it had a bigger lock.. the tiny flint just doesnt have much life, i think im going to send the lock to a pro to reduce the spring tension and time it properly.. its been full jug choked by a pro... and the last time out last thursday at the trap field it/me only missed once with my trap thrower behind 10 yards and to 90 degrees the sides.. if i squeeze my hand it usually kills the clay. now ducks are different matter.. this gun weighs about 8 pounds.. 12 gauge is not too heavey for water foul. with choke 903f/90 is a great load with lead, 903f/105 with number 4 bismuth for ducks.. be forewarned pedersoli rates poor for parts..they may send you one but proper fit is another thing. other than that its a real bird killer.. dave.

Back