• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hammer problem?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one shot 52

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a pedersoli 32 frontier rifle when icock hammer hit set trigger and sqeeze trigger to fire hammer stops at half cock gun will fire if i sqeeze hard on front trigger how do i fix THANKS

On a set trigger there is a very small part called the fly. The purpose of this part is to prevent the hammer from falling into the half cock notch when using the set trigger. Some set triggers also allow you to fire the gun using the main trigger, even if the pull is harder. When this is done your finger keeps the trigger pressed back long enough that the fly isn't needed. So, although it's hard to know for sure what the problem may be- it might be the fly. Have you taken the lock apart? If you did- you might have lost the part. If not- you might be able to see the fly- it should be between the tumbler and lock plate.

Yup, like crocket said. The "fly detent" is a small little pointy thing on the inside of the lock. It's mounted in a hole on the tumbler. The tumbler is the part that rotates when you cock the hammer.
Dirt can git in there, or it gets too dry to do it's job. Usually removing the lock, cleaning it well and some oil for lubrication on the moving parts makes everything happy.
Sometimes they get worn and/or the screws that hold the lock parts together come a bit loose and it will bind. 90% of the time it just needs cleaning and oil and you'll be in good shape. :thumbsup:

As Crocket said it sounds like a fly problem. Sometimes the fly gets stuck and doesn't move freely, and sometimes it just isn't there.

Sounds to me like you got a couple of screws loose, had the same problem with my T/C flintlock,
the screws that hold the bridle, a plate that holds all the inner works inplace were loose & the fly was shifting to where the sear would catch on it when using the set trigger,when using the trigger unset the trigger would hold the sear up out of the way & it wouldn't have any problem .
The fix for mine was to use some blue loctite on the screws after cleaning w/ alcohol then retightening them , they haven't loosened yet

Back