• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hammer spring broken (I think)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitade

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a cva 50 cal hawken rifle with a problem.
The hammer flips back and forth,will not cock or fire.I assume it is a broken spring??
Does anyone have a schematic or can tell me what has to be removed to replace the spring. Thanks JOE

Joe,
I agree that it sounds as though the main spring has broken. Have you removed the lock from the rifle to confirm this? If it is, it is easily replaced by removing the main spring only. You will need to match the old spring with a new one and will need a spring vise to install it. Depending on where you are at, a goood ML shop should have everything you need. If there is nothing local you could contact the Log Cabin Shop, Dixie Gunworks or any one of the other shops that advertise. They can walk you through getting the proper spring etc.
Mark

Call Deer Creek they will have the spring. 765-525-6181. Good to deal with. :thumbsup: Dilly

Mark,thanks for your reply.When you say "remove the lock do you mean the lock pin that holds the barrell in place.If I remove the barrell can I see the hammer spring??As you can see I have very little experence in repairing black powder guns.

There are 2 screws on the oposite side of the stock from the lock that go thru the stock and hold the lock in place. remove them and the whole lock can be removed from the stock. The works are attatched to the backside of the lockplate.

Remove the lock the same as you would when you clean the gun. It will be easy to see then.

If the lock hasn't been removed for a long time, the best procedure to use is as follows:

1. Using a large screwdriver that fits the two screws on the left hand side of the rifle, loosen them about 2 full turns.

2. Place a small block of wood on the heads to protect them and then lightly tap the wood, driving the screw heads back against the stock.

3. Loosen the screws another turn or two and repeat step 2.

4. Remove the screws from the lock and stock.

5. Gently push back and forth sideways on the hammer and the lock will come out of the stock.

At this point I suspect that at least one piece of the mainspring will fall out of the mortice.

If it doesn't, perhaps the mainspring is just hung up. By cocking the hammer you should see a spur on the front of the tumbler towards the mainspring rising. It should be moving the tip of the mainspring upwards.

To relese the sear from the tumbler and allow the hammer to fall, push upward on the sear arm that is sticking outward from the lock.

Removing or installing a mainspring is best done with a "Mainspring vise".
This is a small block of steel with a movable screw actuated block that is made for applying pressure at the right points on a mainspring.
These are available from the same folks who carry muzzleloading gun parts so if you call Deer Creek, be sure to ask if they also have the vise for sale.

Thanks to all for the info.I removed the lock and found the gasting that is tripped by the spring is broken.Probably needs a new lock??And its L.H.
The rifle will become a "wall hanger".

Deer Creek will have the parts you need.
No reason to mandate the gun to a wall hanger yet.

we are talking about a 5 dollar part to get you back in the game and more trigger time under your belt!

Dont give up yet!

You are up Deer Creek with a good paddle!

You are describing the " Tumbler" as the part that is broken, as that is what the mainspring " pushes " on to pivot the hammer forward. A replacement tumbler should not cost much.

Check the third post down from the top for deer creek #.

joed said:
Brett,how can I contact "Deer Creek" Thanks JOE

765-525-6181

have your credit card in front of you as well as the gun.
He will more than likely ask you a few questions that can be answered easily with the gun and lock in front of you.
..sometimes it helps to have the lock out of the gun!

Going to friendship next sunday,hope to find Main spring and tumbler there.I will take my lock with me.Thanks for your help.

Sounds as if you may be from Indiana or close by anyhow. Deer Creek is in Indiana as well. Give them a call and maybe swing by there, you may be close to them. This is a guess, but I would think your chances of contacting a CVA parts supplier would be far greater than looking for this part at Friendship. Just a guess and good luck.

Hi Joed. First phone Deer Creek today. Expain your problem. Order the part and then when you go to Friendship on sunday they will be to deliver it to you personally. They have a stand there this week. I am not local to you folk and not 10 min ago was on the phone ordering from them. I was told this info as part of my order they have to source this w/e. All is not lost.

Back