• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hand Gonne evaluation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireMaker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
:hatsoff: Hatsoff to Claypipe. Ran the range for the PD today. As usual, I take out blackpowder every time. This time was the new Zypher from Claypipe.

Used good old rustolium flat black for a protecting finish. Easy clean up and touch up if needed. No burning or scalding of the paint around the touch hole or muzzle. Hex tiller is beeffy and nice to hang on to. Just the right length to put on the ground for loading.

Bore is .625. Have a good supply of .600 ball and .15 patch with my standard bearfat/beeswax lube. Standard people type target from work. Used 45gr 3f as recommended. The gonne could handle well more but there is no need.

Quills - The way to go. Instant ignition. Very reliable. Used this with 3f as well as pyrodex p. Works well with the fake stuff. Nice to know when it is hard to get the good stuff. Tried blanks with the pyrodex using an over powder card. I can fart louder than that. 3f blanks worked great.

3f as prime/3f charge - I asked that the touch hole be counter bored to enhance using quills as well as using loose powder as prime. This helped in holding a small amount so that I could touch off with the linstock. Worked very well. Almost instant ignition. Quills are faster.

3f as prime/pyrodex charge - not bad. The 3f allows for fast ingition.

Pyrodex prime/pyrodex charge - interesting. Lets just say it works. Very slow. Is like a little roman candle sitting in your touch hole. Fssssssssssssssssst wait, wait, wait, BOOM! But if that is all you have, it will work for shooting.

Round ball - Started at the 7 yd line and worked my way back. Finally able to put them on the paper at 25 yrds. Lots of fun. Had a 3 shot 8 inch group at 25 yds - lucky is all I can say. Couldnt hardly hit the paper after that.

Shot - Using #7.5 shot with equal measure of powder and shot. Over powder card, felt wad and over shot card. Same load I shoot in my .62 french pistol. At 15 yrds, it would hurt. Just the pattern you would expect from a short barrel. Very similar to my pistol. Lots of fun with the shot. First shot peppered the body and the felt wad went through the nose :haha:

When I run the range, the guys always ask what I bring. They bring the typical ARs, 1911, deer rifles, SKS, Dept. gun, etc. All but one wanted to shoot my gonne. Got a lot of style points today. They had fun shooting such an early gonne. Most have shot my John Buck Matchlock. This was really different.

My first black powder gun was a Perc. TC Renegade, sold it to go flint. Moved to a Flint .54 southern rifle, added a .62 fusil, added a 1.00 Hail Gonne, decided I needed a .62 Matchlock, and now a "Gonne on a stick". I guess I cant go back any further. Maybe a sling??? Have seen those lead Roman bullets for a sling :hmm: OK maybe not.

Back