• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harpers Ferry. ect in cabelas catalog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tajue17

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Im interested in that Harpers ferry rifle in the cabels catalog. does anyone here have one? it has a nice slow round ball twist but Im curious about the wood tometal fit and the lock and is it a reliable one? also, I have my eye on the charvelle and Brown Bess. I think these are pedersoli guns and I love my caplock 20ga sidexside shotgun they made but a flintlock rifle may be alot different.

what do you guys think, is it the money thay wat? thanks, Ted

its too early for me right now that closing question should of said: is it worth the money they are asking?

Is it worth the money? Maybe, but only if you are a gunsmith. I worked over one a friend bought, and it turned out very well. Very accurate, very reliable, as good as my custom longrifle. HOWEVER, I put in an entire day + in the shop redoing all of the lock problems and fine tuning it. No screw in the lock was drilled 90o to the plate and every thing in it was very rough. The barrel was extremely accurate, 1" to 1 1/2" first outing, but was bent so far left, the sights could not be ajusted to compensate. Had to straighten it. Rifling was very nicely cut though. I could not recommend it unless you can handle the problems yourself or are willing to spend more on it to get it operational. The one i am talking about could not be fired as it came. You could have better luck, but with most import factory mades it is always a manure shoot.

Wick, That sounds an awful lot like the problems I had with my Fronrier Rifle. The barrel shot ten inches right at 25 yds out of the box, but put fantastic groups. Recrowned and pulled the breech plug and trued the bore (barrel bows 3/32 to the left, but the bore is true). Deepened the pan and tuned the trigger and lock. Shoots fantastic now, but it was a lot of work to get it there. If someone who is just starting out in this sport would happen to get ahold of one of these mistakes it would sure put a damper on them continuing. Talked extensively with Pedersoli and they will stand behind all their products if you are willing to send it back to Italy. By talking with others who have Pedersoli products, the problems are few, but they do happen. My advice is to purchase one through Cabelas as they will stand behind anything they sell unconditionally. Just something to think about. Take care, Rick.

Good advice on the Cabela's guarantee. I am a dealer though and get a price break when I buy Pedersoli, So I takes my chances. I can usually straighten out most problems myself, but you are right about beginners getting turned off with problem products. For those who can't fix their own, they can be money ahead in the long run to pay a little more and deal with people like Cabela's, although Cabela's has pretty decent prices on most of their goods.

Latest posts

Back