• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harvested a young whitetail buck on Nov. 3

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agill

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was in the woods before sunrise Monday morning in the hills near the North Fork of the Holston river. The chipmuncks and squirrels were busy preparing for winter and the nuts were raining from the trees. There was a lot of noise and I didn't hear two does above and to the my right about 50 yards off, but I caught them moving in the corner of my eye at 7:30 AM. As I watched them with my field glasses the four does I didn't see due to the heavy leaf cover saw me! Up went their tails and off they all went down the ridge.

I never heard the 3 point come at in 7:50 AM either. I noticed down hill a strange shape that wasn't there a few minutes before and I thought it looked very much like a deer's form. Upon looking through the field glasses I verified the deer, but couldn't make out the sex since its head was behind a tree. It took a couple of steps and I saw antlers. It wasn't an old buck, but I was hunting venison. I picked up the 45 cal Blue Ridge and set the trigger, took aim, and squeezed the trigger. I saw a good hit and down he went. I quickly reloaded just in case, but it wasn't needed. Thank God. It was 65 paces downhill, but was probably about 40 yards true horizontal distance.

Speer .445 swaged rb
70 gr. Goex 3fg
Goex 4Fg prime
.010 pillow ticking
Stumpy's Moose Snot patch lube
English flint

2008BP3pt.jpg

20083ptcape.jpg

Thanks. VA added another week to the early ML season this year. So, this is the earliest in the season that I've taken a deer. I see how much the leaf cover gets in the way of bow hunters now! :hatsoff:

Good luck to all.

Way to go Flint Hunter! Was wondering about that extra week for your early season. Use to go to VA and hunt but haven't been for awhile. Wish we had an early season here in WV.

Looks like you pulled everything together just right...congratulations on a clean Flintlock kill...
:hatsoff:

Hello Flint Hunter!

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil from Germany. So a .45 PRB is certainly able to make meat. Where did the ball hit the buck? and did it exit?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Hello Flint Hunter!

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil from Germany. So a .45 PRB is certainly able to make meat. Where did the ball hit the buck? and did it exit?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Yes, a 45 prb will certainly do the job. I've taken several deer with this rifle. The prb passed through the deer. The ball entered on the left side of the backbone, broke it, and broke a right side rib about a third of the way down on exiting. I did find a piece of lead in the backstrap muscle. Of all the deer I've taken with this rifle only one prb did not completely pass through. That ball was found just under the skin on the opposite side. I was using 50 gr. of 3fg and I think that is plenty, but I've switched to 70 gr of 3fg just to have more than enough in case a monster comes along the trail. However, I have shot a couple of deer that were not retreived. One made it to posted land and the other ( a large buck) made it to a public road where a man saw the deer laying in the road and picked it up and drove off before I could reach him. That is why I have a Chambers York in 50 cal. on order from Jim Chambers.

Thanks,
Allen

Great memories to be sure.
Everytime you pick up your rifle.
Everytime you are in that area of the woods.
When you are enjoying a fantastic meal from your harvest.

PJC

Awesome! Congrats.

Can't wait to build a flinter myself. Hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Latest posts

Back