• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone built a kit from Jedediah Starr?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaver3365

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Their description indicates that they are fairly easy. Anybody have feed back? I am thinking of the Bedford County.

I'm pretty sure they are actually Pecatonica kits... http://www.longrifles-pr.com/
They are component kits.
Not at all like putting together a CVA kit and nothing like a Jim Kibler kit...

Duelest1954 has some good build videos....he's also a member on here
Here's one video
https://youtu.be/-ddwnyfukt8

There are other great videos on youtube also,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a real longrifle kit, get a Jim Kibler rifle.
TVM, Track, PR, Jim Chambers and many others are more accurately described as parts set. These sets require a great deal of work and skill. The skill comes with study and assembly, on the job training so to speak. Sometimes this works out, sometimes not. Many of these sets sit partially assembled for years. For that reason many seek classes and pay for instruction to completer these sets.

These sets are really more about learning the craft of rifle building rather than "having a nice rifle".

If you want a nice rifle...get a Kibler assembly. It's worth it!

This past week I was involved in a rifle building class. This was a 5 day class...long days under the direction of a master gunsmith. The Kibler set was done Tuesday!. An unfinished Chambers was shot late Friday evening. It was still unfinished but shootable.

Instead of staining and finishing the Kibler owner decided to make a patchbox for his rifle out of sheet steel. That was done and it was on his rifle by Friday morning. Both the instructor and student said if they humped it, the Kibler could have been done in One Day. To be fair this was a fully equipped shop with a master gunsmith.

The Kibler actually is much better than a CVA or Lyman. All holes for the wood are spotted or drilled. The pin holes..done. The builder will need to drill the tang and the lock. Too the stock is dang close to finished dimension. It truly is an instant long rifle. The icing on the cake is it is based off a fine NC Mountain Rifle.
Kibler kit

As someone who recently completed my first flintlock from TOW I can attest that this kind of "kit" is not easy to assemble if you are a beginning builder. I managed to get it done, but it was not an easy lift and there were a number of times that I wasn't confident that I would end up with a working gun.

The Kibler kit looks nice but there are a lot of people who don't want a late period rifle with a narrow, deeply hooked stock and butt plate.

The guns of the late 1700's were noted for their wide, rather flat butt plates and the early 1800's long rifles still had fairly wide gently curved butt plates.

There are some companies that sell these older style guns that are finished "in the white".

The are basically finished but without stains, browning or bluing.

A "in the white" gun still has a bit of wood to remove and installing inlays can be done at the stage it should be done: before any finish is applied.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. If you just want a shootable rifle that you can do by yourself, then get a Traditions, Lyman, Dixie, etc. If you want an authentically styled rifle that is still fairly simple to build and you don't care about the period, then get a Kibler. If you want to build an accurate representation of an early gun and are willing to do more work, then get a Chambers. If you want to learn the art of building an American long rifle, then get a kit from JS, Track, Pecatonica, or Muzzleloader Builders Supply and find an instructor. Good luck with whatever you choose - John

I should also add TVM and Tennessee Valley Manufacturing (Jack Garner) to the last group. I should also add that Jack Garner makes most of his own components as well as his own stocks. I believe the others buy from Pecatonica. All of these businesses supply quality components that need a lot of work to become a long rifle. Zonie's advice about an in-the-white gun is spot on. That way you can have just about any rifle you want, but it will cost you about $300-$400 more. Good luck - John

Back