• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone tried this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricklandes

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to soon (hopefully) be doing a bit of scrimshawing on a horn. I have used ink to black the scratched in patterns in times past. I had the idea to try the black "ink" powder from one of our old copy machines cartridges to color and antique the horn. Somewhat like tempura black paint powder is used by some. Application of heat from a heat gun should set the color.

Any thoughts???

I know it stayed on my hands for quite a while last time I touched one. :grin:

Are you thinking about just putting it on dry, then applying heat? Or mixing it with something to get it to flow better? With as much as it stains a copier, I'd be nervous about getting it off the horn where I didn't want it. Too much rubbing with abrasives and if your scrim isn't deep enough, it'll disappear (at least it does on me :cursing: )

I am thinking to apply dry and then add a bit of heat...
I will see what I can do about those pics PC.
Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn,
the secrets of making, decorating, and aging fine powder horns,
by Scott & Cathy Sibley
addresses using black tempura in a dry form and then heating it in...this was my idea source...

hm... maybe cover the horn with wax, then scrape the wax away from where you want the stain? that way, if it did get everywhere, you could just melt/shave the wax off, and bam, color only where you want it.

kind of like how some knifemakers will etch their mark on the blade.

Rick, Sounds like your trying to re-invent the wheel on an old method that has worked fine for centuries! Not to mention a mess!

As for the Tempera use in Scott's book. He puts the Tempera on the horn immediately after applying the wood stain. The tackiness of the stain holds the Tempera on, as he drys the horn surface (with heat gun) to "set" or dry the stain/Tempera. Tempera is a powdered paint and needs moisture to hold it to any surface!

Rick

Thanks for the kind words horner...I would have never guessed it to be inventing anything...I have tempura nor india ink on hand and thought... :grin: what about this ink powder
I just cannot think of work all the time when at work!!!

Latest posts

Back