• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HATFIELD RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back in the mid 80's I had one of these in 45cal. but, I was needing money, it went by by
MBO31-2a.gif

This is sooooooooo odd, I was just looking at this picture of a Hatfield rifle...

hatfield.jpg

I love the long lines and graceful curves associated with the Hatfield rifle...

I would like a Hatfield .32 caliber flintlock for squirrels, <<<sigh>>> maybe some day... :p

There are lots of Hatfields still around. They generally go for $ 400 to 550. or so. Have seen a few recently unfired & looked great. If you watch on Auction Arms there are some on there now & then. All I have ever seen are 45 & 50 cal percussion.
If you need any parts for them contact Cain's Outdoors in WV and Ed Cain is knows all about them, works on them & has locks & parts for them. He can tell also tell you how to ID when it was made.

I have two Hatfields, both 50 cal percussion ,and would like to find a nice flinter. One is A full stock like in Roaddogs photo, and the other is Hawkin style. Both have beautiful tiger stripe stocks and shoot very well.
If you get the chance,don't pass one up.

Stoney- have you thought of converting one of your cap-locks? Buy one or find someone with a Track Catolog & compare your lock plate with the ones pictured there. At $7.00 it is a good buy for all sorts of BP stuff, including BP ctgs. Their picures are very nearly, exactly, full size - I recently did this when changing from the original hand made flint lock on my .45, to one from the catolog. I bought a lock just slightly larger and was able to file the plate to perfect inlet, better than originally done.
Daryl

Daryl
I have considered it, but decided to keep them original. Besides,it gives me another reason to buy a new rifle.

There is a Hatfield flint at GunsAmerica for sale now, but with April 15 coming up, Uncle Sam seems to think he needs my money more than I do.

musketman& anyone else interested:
Go to
www.auctionarms.com
click on black powder. There are generally 3 to 400 black powder items there for auction. I've gotten some really good deals there.
Maxi ::

How's come I ain't never met any wemmin with such gracefull lines? Rifles always do what you want, always look good, are never late, never demadning, don't care what you look like, don't talk back, demand little attention, just love to be handled with care, and......on and on. ::

...which is the reason rifles are generally named after the ladies and are referred to as "She"....

Say, come to think of it I have never refered to a nice firearm as "HE" like "he's a dandy rifle ain't he?"
Don't sound right do it?
Matter o' fact I call all my toys "she" as in "she's a great bass boat huh?" :: ::

Say, come to think of it I have never refered to a nice firearm as "HE" like "he's a dandy rifle ain't he?"
Don't sound right do it?

It would be interesting to find out what ALINE and other female members calls their rifles?

He's or She's...

We always call the things we, hmmm - have, own, desire, play with, - hmmm-(hard to be politically correct here,) we love, as SHE. It's a loving way of describing things. I used to call my 14 guage rifle, "gripe". That was "her" name and is listed as such in my loading manual for "her".
: She didn't get named until testing one day and I doubled the powder charge with but 1 ball. I was instructing another BP shooter at the time & forgot my load sequence. I had been running velocities from 82gr. on up, and was at my moose load when it happened. 2 times 165gr. = 330gr. 2F with a 480gr. round ball. At the shot, I came up off my chair, about 4", bit of a shock, really, and gained a whole 76fps over the normal 165gr charge. My exclaimation stuck as "her" name.
: Even the Brown "Bess" was named after a fair lady.
Daryl

I got some really good "pet" names for my ex-, but maybe we shouldn't go there! :curse:
Birddog6 built me a nice American jeager, #106 and she carries the name "miss 106".
Now I've had some really BAD rifles and they wore names that we won't mention here either. They found new homes pretty quick. :haha:

Back