• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have no Fear.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
"Have no fear". That is my message to squirrels of my parent's woods. Why? Well, my game bag is empty and it wasn't for a lack of trying. I had what you might have called an "off" morning.

It started as I left the house just after morning twilight. This was my first hunt in my period clothing. I was dressed in a longhunters frock, fall-front pants, my center-seam mocs, and my tricorne hat. I had with me my .36 flinter which has always shot straight and true. I call it "Liberty's Fist"

I jumped the barb-wired fence separating the neighbor's pasture from my parents woodline to make a bee-line for the rear of the woodlot so I could work my way back through the woods to my parents house. It wasn't long before I heard the "clip-clop" of horses hooves behind me. Three horses were now making a bee-line for me. Large mammals trotting right at me does unsettle me a bit, so I briskly walked down the fence and jumped it at the next opportunity. A look back at the pasture reveals three horses staring me down as if to dare me to step back over.

Now, I work my way in to the woods only to find a skunk barreling towards me. Once again, I am unsettled and do my best to make way for the skunk.

My pulse is up, and now I'm hot. I take my frock off to reveal my hunting shirt and stuff it in my shoulder bag. I see a squirrel sillouetted on a limb and aim for the head. I've been practicing off-hand for this shot all summer and I've gotten quite good at it. So, of course, I miss. I reload and later find a squirrel straight over my head and take a supported aimed shot....and miss. Well, that's about all nature was about to allow me this morning, so I headed back home. I took an off-hand shot at a bulls-eye paper target 25 yards away...and missed the paper entirely. The ignition was slow and my frizzen failed to kick all the way over. Yup, a perfect punctuation to my "off" morning hunt. :grin:

You didn't tighten the lock bolts just a tad more than usual did ya? Sounds like something binding.

May havta do some work on the springs like others do. I know I had a Late Chambers Ketland that was absolutely horrible until Roy fixed it.

What the heck. You showed them horses that they ain't the only ones that can jump a fence, showed a skunk that you could out run him, saved a perfectly good target for another day, learned them tree-rats to show you more respect, worked up a good sweat, and finally, had a fine time doing it. I'd say you had a great day.

Yeah, but a memorable experience none the less
:wink:

Curious about something...compared to the clothes you normally wear while practicing, and while its probably not the case, is there any chance your period clothing might have slightly changed anything in terms of LOP...or maybe a collar or strap that might have held your head a little further off the side of the stock...changed the feel of things, the recoil arc, etc...

:haha: I had a similar experience the other morning, snapped the ramrod off in my .32, had to come back home after about ten minutes in the woods. I could've gone back out with another gun but was too disgusted.

My son went out later in the day and brought back a grey and a fox...

Aw well, it's early, I'm just glad the small game seasons are finally open.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Roundball, that could be possible as well. It wouldn't surprise me if I got a strap under the butt and didn't notice. I have started shooting with my period clothes on, and I can get a little over a one-inch group off-hand at 25 yards. But, that's at the range where I have a perfect shot and all the time to take it.

I always shoot better after my first kill. I guess my mind is on the prize and not the shot.

Keep up the good work the law of averages are now tipped in your favor. :wink:

Back