• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have to know what happened.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhughh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last evening of deer season, I'm walking out of the woods, and a deer gets up and crosses the road in front of me. I have a 12 ga fowler, PRB, and 1xx grains of powder. I saw her in the edge of the woods as she approached, had my gun held in front of her, and when she hit the road, she jumped right in front of my bead. I fired, and she collapsed on the side of the road. I approached her, and she kicked her hind legs a few times, flopping her head---down but not out. I cut her throat to allow her bleed out, field dressed her, and got her home. Now, here's the wierd part. NOT a bullet hole anywhere, no broken bones, no bloodshot meat, no anything. Why did she collapse?

Thanks, Hugh

check her cheeks.
I shot a deer once, same results. found a 30 cal hole in each of his cheeks, never hit bone that I could tell.
just a maybe!

you may want to check the back of her neck, could've just clipped the spine and stunned her.

I whacked one the same way years ago. No sign of a hit, but similar body reaction to what you describe. Stuck my finger in his ear and came out bloody. Stuck a pencil in and it came out the other side. In one ear and out the other without leaving any visible marks. Talk about a taxidermist's dream!

Unwind one of your fingers and probe an ear, either ear. Bet you get the same results.

Never thought of an Ear but if he was shooting a 12 guage Ball my guess is that there would be a Big hole somewhere.I'd say you just grazed it somewheres,Head/Neck/Spine.Hide should make nice Buckskin Without a hole.

You scared her to death!Don't laugh!I took pigs to the butcher shop one time and one had a heart attack and died while walking to the slaughter floor.

Have you skinned her yet to do a thorough autopsy?

It will be interesting to hear what happened.

Years ago I shot a javelina with a 12ga slug gun. All I did was graze the skin just behind the head. It looked like it was just barely cut with a very sharp knife. That bugger dropped in his tracks, squeeled, grunted, for a few seconds and was still. When I cut him up I saw bruising inside the ribs so I opened him up and found that a piece of his spine had splintered off and was sent down through his lung. I guess the shock paralized him and the bone through the lung killed him.

HD

BrownBear said:
I whacked one the same way years ago. No sign of a hit, but similar body reaction to what you describe. Stuck my finger in his ear and came out bloody. Stuck a pencil in and it came out the other side. In one ear and out the other without leaving any visible marks. Talk about a taxidermist's dream!

Unwind one of your fingers and probe an ear, either ear. Bet you get the same results.

I came close to an ear shot once. I hit right at the base of the skull , in the soft area. Never hit any bone, whatsoever, but he dropped like a rock.
100_0363.jpg

100_0368.jpg

100_0369.jpg

There was one spike buck I shot years ago with a 12 ga slug. It went in right behind his ear and came out his eye. No blood on the deer just a little spatter on the snow. Couldn't see the hole behind his ear either, the hair covered it, and the eye was full of white stuff. I looked for 10 minutes before my finger accidentally went in the entry hole and got bloody.

. . . and when she hit the road, she jumped right in front of my bead. I fired, and she collapsed on the side of the road.

Hit by an oncoming car. :confused:

The proof is in the skinning. Sometimes the hair covers the hole(s) from the outside and fat/muscle from the inside. Once the skin is off it should show.

The old "pole-axle" bung shot (aka "Texas Heart Shot") uses an existing hole and will kill if it penetrates to the liver & lungs.

Deer don't have heart attacks and they don't feint. Life for a deer is too hard to pick up those habits.

Had a doe in Manitoba "many" years ago. We had taken some young fellas out hunting and this doe came running towards us in a creek bottom. One guy was blazin away with a 30-30 and she must have been watchin him cause she ran straight into a tree and dropped like a stone. I went up and cut her throat. When we skinned her there was not a mark anywhere.

Back