• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken owner -- again!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjulihn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I sold my first TC Hawken several months ago to fund the purchase of another firearm. I have since come to my senses and found another one to replace it. I would rate it 95% -- a really nice find. Paint me happy! :grin:

I have been shooting my TC Hawken for well over thirty years. Nothing but happy with it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This rifle has a 50xxx serial number, so I am guessing mid- to late-70s vintage. It does not have "Hawken" engraved on the barrel after the caliber marking, which may have been a later addition. Still has two factory jags in the patch pocket!

All my traditional rifles are TC and I find the TC Hawken rifle to be only great shooters but easy to handle in a deer stand. Barrels longer than 28 inches would be a real pain in the behind in a 4 foot x 4 foot and 5 foot high box stand. Even reloading in these stands is interesting with the regular TC barrels. But I have learned how to get it done. As long as you remain seated on the chair these stands are real comfortable. They may not be very HC or PC, but they keep me warm and dry in the worst of weather. I've been dry and happy during down pours that drove other hunters to their cars and homes. Nothing like owning 16 of these 10 foot high stands to keep the deer guessing where you will be next.

Must be nice.
I sit out the rain in my natural ground blinds. If I get rained on..at least it is HC/PC for the period. :hatsoff:

I don't want a deer bad enough to sit in the rain or snow. But there once was a time..................... :hmm:

They are not only great rifles for the money but they are the starter rifle for a very high number of us. I hope that the rumers that they are being discontinued is wrong. Geo. T.

I could have wrote that line, with no bad feelings.I don't want to set in the rain, want to be there before it happens and after not during.I have never had any luck,with getting a deer only getting wet.

I framed up my deer stands with 2x2's and used 1/4 inch plywood to side them. Got rubber roofing on top. A few of them have windows in them for those days when it's nasty out. The stand that I sit in all day opening day also has a Coleman heater just in case. Plus several pee bottles. If it is warm out like this year I pop out the windows and stack them in a corner. Sitting in a nice steel folding chair with cusion, is comforable and productive. In my old age I enjoy sitting in these blinds more than on a ladder stand which I use for bowhunting. I have 2x2's running around the outside of the windows with 1/2 inch holes in them for pine branches. The pine branches hid my movement. Warm, dry, and comfortable, good place to read a book while I wait for a deer. Lots of stands all over the farm, don't have to hunt same stand every day. I think Daniel Boone would agree, it's a nice set up.

The United Brotherhood of Deer are demanding that you get out of your warm cushy hunting blinds/stands, and sit out in the rain like a man! :haha: :haha:

I like my t/c hawken! :thumbsup:
DSC00226.jpg
[/img]

cynthialee said:
Hey! I have sat out in the rain hunting and I never felt like a man when I was doing it. Maybe I was doing it wrong...?
:blah:

maybe you're not scratching and spitting enough :rotf:

Back to the T/C Hawken, I still have the one Dad
built in the 70's and it hasn't been shot in years. I am getting an urge to take it out this year. I've pretty much stuck on flinters for the past 15 years or so but I think it's time to take 'er out of the safe. He shot a couple of does with it back in the day and well it would just be cool to make some meat with something that he built.

cynthialee said:
Hey! I have sat out in the rain hunting and I never felt like a man when I was doing it. Maybe I was doing it wrong...?
:blah:
Dang it, I knew that gender specific reference would come back to haunt me. My apologies, Cynthialee. :redface:

Latest posts

Back