• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hawkens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok now Are traditional hawkens,cabela hawkens,and thomson center arms hawkens the same thing? ANd are they bad cheap quility guns?and also how do you get the instant greamlins at the bottom of ur screen to show up on here?

I'm really new to this myownself, so I'm probably not the best person to answer you query, but I'll do my pathetic best. As I understand it, Traditions, Cabela's, and Lyman plains-style rifles ("Hawkens"...same thing) are all Italian-made guns. TC's are American made. Some folks find the Traditions guns to have a lot of varience in quality consistency. That is, some people swear by them while others swear at them. The Lyman rifles are great guns according to virtually every post you'll read about them, and the Hawken sold under the Cabela's name is made by the same company, Investarms. The TC guns also have a sterling reputation as well as a great warranty. One thing to watch is the twist rate. Some are 1:48 (good for round ball and some of the lighter conicals) while others are in the 1:60 range (dedicated round-ballers). I believe I've got all my facts right, and if not, I know some of the more sage on this forum will set me right.

As to the graemlins, wait 'til you get to the "preview post" screen and go to the bottom. There will be the editable version of your message as well as the graemlins. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

Oops, I just looked and the Traditions guns are made in Spain, not Italy. :eek: Live and learn.

i have a T/C .50 1/48" hawken and love it for a factory gun....haven't had to use there warrinty so far....only had it since sept 03....................bob

154672.jpg

Some of my friends shoot Lyman rifles. Without a doubt they are good shooting rifles. One friend who shoots a GPR claims he had a terrible time getting the rifle to finally shoot good. He ended up lapping the barrel. But when he was at my place a while back, he sure must have done something right to that gun because it was a shooter.

I have two Traditon's rifles. Both of them are great roundball shooters. I own a couple CVA rifles. All of them are great shooters. I own way too many Thompson Center rifles according to some people :says:. All of them are great shooters.

It basically boils down to almost any rifle out there will shoot good if you take the time to learn it. The real difference comes in the barrel fit to the stock, the function of the parts, and the way the company backs the rifle should something go wrong. For that, Thompson Center has them hands down.

If you want a good rifle and do not want to spend a lot of money, watch some of the auction sites. This year I picked up a Renegade for $150.00 that I swear had only been fired a couple times. It looked brand new to me, even had the original hickory ramrod. Just another way to get that special rifle.

If your real lucky, you'll find one as pretty as Bob's :thumbsup:.....

yeah but i made mine that purrty with a maple stock with more drop to it......................bob

Bob, that is a very purty stock.
I also have a T/C Hawken .50, but mine's still in it's walnut stock. I remember reading the thread about you changing yours, but I'm too lazy to search for it.
Where did you get your stock and how much was it?
That maple really dresses up that Hawken!
Jim

Latest posts

Back