• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawse Colt Navy 1851

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a Hawse Firearms Colt 1851 repro made in Italy. Obviously used but also well cared for. It came with a fitted wood case, spare nipples, mold, several hundred round balls and felt wads, and a Colt style pistol flask. It's a brass frame with a 7.5" barrel.The action is smooth and the cylinder locks up tight. The previous owner must have kept his powder charges appropriately light. Everything for under 100 bucks.

I've heard of Hawse modern revolvers but not cap and ball repros. Do their C&B revolvers have a reputation, good or bad?

Jeff

I purchased a used 1860 brass frame in 1969 or 70 shot OK but it was a bit loose when I got it. I shot it for about a year then gave it to a buddy. I thought they were made in Germany :idunno: - been so long ago can't remember :hmm: ?

Jeff, I had the exact same pistol several years ago in .36. They
were manufactured in Italy and distributed out of Los Angles CA. The company went bankrupt out of a lawsuit in the mid 70’s if my memory serves me correctly?

Anyway, Hawes was a distributor that sold several lines of revolver’s to include historical revolvers as well!

My 1851 Navy was made in 1968. It was a well made pistol that shot great! Was and is good as any other Italian make on the market then and today. Ended up getting rid of a couple of 1851’s in a trade and that being one of them several years ago. I personally have nothing bad to say about the pistol?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Hawes (correct spelling) imported mediocre cartridge guns made by Sauer in Germany but to the best of my knowledge all their C&B revolvers were Italian. My first C&B revolver was a Hawes $30 (new) brass framed .36 Navy which lead to my adiction. A friend and I "tuned" it and I found its most accurate load was 17 or 18 grains of Dupont 3f. I still have the measure I made from a .380 cartridge and a piece of coat hanger. The can spout was a .32 special cartridge. All that was 48 years ago and I don't believe I have had any more fun with a gun than I did that one.

Guys, thanks for the info. There isn't much about them on the internet. The action really is smooth and it was clearly cared for. Even the nipples aren't abused from dry firing. I look forward to trying it when the weather improves.

Hawkeye, I appreciate catching the error. I can spell but my typing is terrible. :grin: (The joke is my typing is more accurate on old manual typewriters than on computer keyboards.)

Jeff

I have a Hawes Walker Colt that was purchased in the mid '70s. Shoots well(if you can keep the charging rod up).

Is the cylinder engraved or smooth? If smooth, you have a replica of the CSA Schneider and Glassic revolver.

Back