• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE HC Short Ball Starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have happily made and sold many of these short starters. Shortly I will be following the snow birds south and might not be able to make these there. I did this one this AM, 3/8” brass rod, tapped10-32, with some nice hickory for the wood. It is stained with Kibler’s iron nitrate solution and oil sealed. Shipped to you for $19 (yes, a small increase, seems USPS realizes inflation also). I do PP, MO, CHECK or $$. Thanks again to all the past buyers.
524EA392-A54D-4AD2-B5BA-886775FED9C6.jpeg

I have happily made and sold many of these short starters. Shortly I will be following the snow birds south and might not be able to make these there. I did this one this AM, 3/8” brass rod, tapped10-32, with some nice hickory for the wood. It is stained with Kibler’s iron nitrate solution and oil sealed. Shipped to you for $19 (yes, a small increase, seems USPS realizes inflation also). I do PP, MO, CHECK or $$. Thanks again to all the past buyers.
View attachment 348427
Just asking:
What makes this HC?

BALL STARTER

There has been much discussion on the reality of short or ball starters. Numerous arguments on their existence prevails. No matter your belief or thoughts, in 2017 Spence on this forum Provided this information:

(Spence 10 on 5-27-17):
_Scloppetaria:_ by Capt. Henry Beaufroy, 1808 [Henry Benjamin Hanbury Beaufroy], originally published as “Scloppetaria, by a Corporal of Riflemen”
https://books.google.com/books?id=...BwMQ6AEIUTAN#v=onepage&q=scloppetaria&f=false

Here's his rammer:

F2kisGqHQ4qqL5rDkaPLfw.jpg

( Detail from page 152 of referenced source above)

Latest posts

Back