• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heartbreak in the turkey woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The weather has been wet, to say the least, here in southern Missouri but we got a break last Friday morning so I was chasing birds on our family farm. I spotted a tom strutting at the lower end of our middle field so I decided to put a stalk on him. Unfortunately, the rice paddy-like conditions had me change course several times so by the time I belly crawled the last 50 yards to my setup spot, the gobbler was nowhere to be found. I knew I hadn't spooked him so I thought I'd put some decoys out to see if I could lure him back.

I crossed to the east side of the field, put two hen decoys out around 20 yards on a high spot, and then crawled underneath a cedar tree. My flintlock was a soggy from being dragged through the muck and I dried it off the best I could. Finally, when I was satisfied with it, I picked the vent hole, wiped the pan one more time and poured in some 4F powder. I went through a series of calls and waited for something to happen.

After 20 minutes of nothing, I called again and was answered by a different gobbler directly in front of me. The only problem was that he was all the way on the other side of the field, across a creek, and up in the woods. The distance was about 300 yards by my reckoning; a fer piece for a turkey, especially with a creek in the way. I called again and he answered again. After doing this two more times, I thought to myself, "We'll see how badly you want it, big boy, if you cross that creek!"

Another 10 minutes passed and, to my surprise, I see the tom now in the field next to the fence on that side. He had flown across the creek - game on! I call in earnest to get his attention and he's looking around to see where the girls are. He finds his own high spot and goes into full strut to show off his stuff. This goes on for five minutes or so until I convince him that he needs to come find me.

Over the next ten minutes he meanders across the field looking for love. It isn't until he's about 60 yards away that he actually sees my decoys. Now he goes into strut again and begins shuffling towards the decoys.

I've had a lot of close calls this season but no dead birds so my heart is hammering as this tom is coming in. Maybe this time I will finally get to put a tag on something! He is now about 25 yards out in full strut facing me. I don't like that shot because I'm afraid he'll see me move so I am just hoping he'll turn sideways. When he finally does, I put the bead on his head and pull the trigger - POOF! A flash in the pan but no boom.

So now the bird is on full alert and I'm frantically reaching behind me trying to locate my priming flask so I can prime the pan again. I am rattled and the tom is leaving so I am having a hard time drawing a good bead. When I do pull the trigger the second time, I can barely see his head. The gun goes off this time and so does the turkey. He will live to gobble again.

I caught the entire saga on video and it can be seen here:
[youtube]hoyzBCoiI8w[/youtube]
The depth perception is misleading. The tom is only about 25 yards away.

After the event, I kicked myself a few times and thought about what I should have done differently. Then I realized that I had one heckuva hunt anyway. I made an animal do what was against his nature to do and basically got to count coup on him. Besides that, no one forced me to choose a flintlock to hunt with. I've got a perfectly good Benelli Nova in my gun cabinet that I could have been toting around but what's the fun in that?

So that's my latest turkey tale. It didn't end the way I had hoped but it wasn't a total loss. I've got one more week of season left. Maybe the turkey gods will smile on me yet!

Darren

Keep trying I shot one Friday and couldn't get out of the blind in time to get him before he got back up and took off. I had three come to me today and couldn't connect. So keep trying that's what I tell myself. Pappy :wink:

Great video, minus the ending! :doh:

I found myself urging you to get her primed a little quicker Darren! Edge of the seat stuff there.

Boy, he sure was pretty! He didn't waste any time lowering his fan once your pan flashed. :shocked2:

Keep after them and thanks for sharing, Skychief

Tough luck Darren ,but as you said a great hunt anyway .I can't seem to go to the woods anymore with anything but a flintlock . Tom :metoo:

Sorry you didn't get him but calling him across the creek is something not everyone has done. Hope you connect next time. Dan.

Great hunt,way to keep after him..Good calling,
it was fun to see a bird on camera.

I feel your pain..Had 2 toms at 45 yards for 20 minutes doing a classic 7 hen show...
Hens walked by me at 10 yards one tom walked into my shooting lane ...took a bead touched off..watched as the 2 tom's run off like The Roadrunner through the fields...It was all me.. No. 6 shot..too far away..

Totally mesmerized by the display they put on..

They looked big they looked closer.

I was turkey rattled..Bad! :doh:

That's hunting with a flintlock.

Called in another the next day to 45 yards...
He walked..
That's hunting with a flintlock.....

Other firepower just doesn't interest me anymore...

Hope these rain fronts stop and you get a day or 2 of sun and wind.

Go getum Darren!

Love the Video Darren!! Except for the ending of course but you sure got the heart pumping!!!

Hope it dries out for you!! I feel blessed to have had 2 dry days in MO when I was there!

From the Sound of things weather has been wreaking havoc on turkey hunting all over the country!

My buddy was in NM from Oklahoma after a Merriams and got 14 inches of snow dumped on him.

My buddy in Oregon had a heck of a time accessing the birds cause raods are still snowed in, he had to hike over 4 miles to get his bird!

Thanks for sharing!!

Hope to see Part two with Bird in hand!!

Well I didnt get drawn :cursing: so I dont give a hoot...er gobble, but here in AZ the season opened Friday and it has been PERFECT weather (still quite mornings). I dont know nobody with a tag though, assume its been awesome. :idunno:

That's a heart breaker for sure. :( But stay positive and enjoy the experiences.

On a side note... have you patterned your gun to be sure of the effective range? Unless your gun is choked, you might find 20-25 yards is about max, and best to set your decoy at about 10 paces for a sure kill. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back