• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from a newbie in Missouri

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotbuck1127

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just want to say hello to all. I'm trying to decide which muzzleloader to get and this is about the hardest thing I have to do since I said "I do" to my wife 7 years ago this month. :shocking: In Missouri we can hunt approximately 29 days with a muzzleloader and do not need a special muzzle tag anymore. The firearms season starts Nov 13 to Nov 23 (in which we can use bow,rifle,muzzle, etc.)and the muzzle only portion is Nov 27 to Dec 5. There is an anterless portion from Dec 11 to 19 (in which we can use bow,rifle,muzzle, etc.) During each you are allowed to shoot with a muzzleloader if you like for a total of 29 days with a front loader and that's for me. I currently bow hunt from Sept 15 to Jan 15 here with the only break during Nov 13 to 23 in which I hunt with rifle. It seems that Muzzleloading is currently catching on fast and seems like fun. I know with all the diffrent types out there it will be a tough choice, but with your help I know I will be confident with my choice. This is the most informative discussion forum I've ever seen on muzzleloading and that is why I will be giving it my best in 2005. Hello and thank you.

Welcome Gotbuck! You are at the place for information. I have never owned a inline, however I do own percussion rifles....got my first one in 1978. Before you decide on anything, do yourself a favor and shoot a flintlock! Once you develope a mental checklist, and follow it religiously, you will have one COOL shooting/hunting rifle the will definetly grow on ya!!!!
:imo:
Happy New Year
Gerry

I'll not tell you what rifle to git, but, you "might" consider a .45 flint longrifle!!

the reason is:.....

You can shoot anythin from sqwirrls to deer with it, and compete in monthly "shoots" with it all year, AND participate in any "rendezvous" with it.

In other words,.... you can enjoy a .45 flintlock year round 'stead'a jest 29 days out of the year!! ::

Welcome to this forum!! :applause: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

Thanks guys. I'm open to shooting any type of muzzleloader as I feel the traditional front enders are part of our history and I'm drawn to that. I can't imagine how it feels when you take a deer with a flintlock. The inlines are modern and easier to care for but I think it might feel like you shot it with a rifle. Maybe I buy one of each?

Steve

Gotbuck1127: A Big Welcome To The Camp !!
From one Steve to another, Welcome. Good Luck in your seach for your muzzleloading rifle. I started with a T/C Hawkens 54cal percussion rifle. It's a great rifle, and the company, Thompsom Center has a lifetime guarantee. I was able to get a T/C fintlock 50cal Hawkens on[url] GunBroker.com[/url]. I haven't got to fire it yet, but I'm looking forward when I can. When hunting in Oregon, I wanted to go with 54, that way I could shoot a Elk. The state saids to use a 50cal. for Elk, 45cal for Deer. Anyway, welcome to the camp, and there's a lot of folks here to help you with your decision.
Take Care, Steve ( Mtn-Man2u ) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, welcome to the Forum, ya knucklehead! :: It'll soitainly be good to have another wiseguy in our midst! Nyuk, nyuk, nuyk! :: Whatever type of ML you choose, you're bound to have fun, though I too would suggest a flintlock (personal bias). As a Stooges fan, I think you'll fit right in here. :: :crackup:Again, welcome! :thumbsup:
SGPOFB.jpg

Welcome,Gotbuck,there are several B.P. clubs in the St.Louis area. I belong to the Boones'Lick club and we shoot at New Florence Mo.,at the Old Settlers grounds,just north of I-70.If you want,E-mail me and I will put you in touch with some shooters in your area.You can't go wrong with either style,but I would bet that once you started going to some monthly shoots,you wouuld have the "Black Powder Fever" for life. :redthumb:

Gotbuck,
welcome to the forum glad to have you with us. hope you will join in and contribute whenever you can.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :thumbsup: :) :peace: :)

Latest posts

Back