• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Utah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in NE Utah and am retired. I play guitar and build ML rifles as passions. Have built 24 so far, all by hand except for a drill press. These are: a .45 Leman at the Green River Rifle Works in 1978, four Bridger Hawken .54 caplocks (1 left hand), 6 Lancasters (3 FL, 1 a LH), 4 full custom built on Track's southern mtn. stock (3 FL), an Issac Haines .40 FL, a Thomas Oldham .40 Bedford, a Rowan Co. NC .40 FL, a J.H. Johnston .50 halfstock caplock, a John Fleeger .50 cal halfstock LH caplock, a Jacob Wigle Westmoreland Co., PA .40 FL (I restored the original for our museum), a Samuel Fairies Ohio .36 FL, a .40 FL woman's rifle based on the Wigle rifle, and a .54 FL Hawken pistol. I like to build heirloom rifles. Don't know much about building, but have smart friends that help. Have an Oehler 35P chronograph and thoroughly test all I build. Am perfectly willing to share anything I've learned with anyone who will ask. I'll tell you all I know and you still won't know nuttin'.

Welcome to the group Herb.
Sounds like you've been busy in the past but hopefully you won't be too busy to stop by often and share your experiance with us. We need all the guidance we can get.
Again, welcome!

Herb: It sounds like You'll be busy answering questions abuot building,I know I'll have a few! WELCOME! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ::

Herb, Wecome to the Camp!!! You'll have fun here. With all the information that you know about Muzzleloaders.
I and others are always looking for help with problems, that we have encounted with muzzleloaders.
So again, welcome to the camp!!! Mtn-Man2u :)

Hi Herb, Welcome, Looked at your profile but wasn't much info there. Where you from, around Vernal area? I'm in Monroe, down by Richfield.

Hi, Deadeye. Yep, I'm from Vernal. Tried to enter the personal info in the "My Home"- Main Configuration- but can't make it work. When I get it sorted out, will fill it in. Also, Samuel L. Faries is not spelled "Fairies" but couldn't edit it when I realized my mistake. I ain't as smart as I am handsome.

Herb,.... I bet you probly know, "Badger", "Goodman", "Jackson", and some'a the other "misfits" down in yore "neck'a tha woods"!!.... If ya see'em, please tell'em "Rondo" said,.... "HOWDY"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Click on "My Home" and then on the "Edit" by personal info
and it should work. You probably know Smokey in Vernal and Doc White in Roosevelt, You also probably go to Fort Bridger,don't you. I'm usually on the shooting range during all the shoots there.
Deadeye

Thanks, Rollingb and Deadeye. I'd clicked all over that durned my home page, finally clicked right on the word edit, and that worked. Yeah, I know Jim and George and Smokey but not who Badger is, though probably met him. Also know Carney and Jean and Kyme and Lynn and Neill well. Carney set up the Green River RW barrel making machinery and Neill made barrels there, then rifles. Said his best time was a Haken in 37.5 hours! He's now built about 360 ML firearms, so you see, I do have smart friends. Also Doc Gary White (he owned GRRW). He has his own website, don't have the address in mind. He told me he's built "a couple thousand ML firearms"! Shot at Bridger a few years ago, like to go up there.

Herb,..... "Badger" is a young-fella, but heavily into the AMM. I don't know if he belongs to a local club'er not!!

Hey!!.... I got "word" thet Brent Boran "went unner",.... is it so???? :boohoo:

Welcome Herb. Sure wish you'd a been here several months back. Could a used your help. Maybe I wouldnt have made so many screw ups on this .32 Lancaster style flinter I been working on. If you still have some of the rifles around do us a favor and show us a few. Thanks

Rollingb- I don't know what AMM is, and we have no local club. Neill hosts a blanket shoot every few months, might have 30 there. Yes, Brent Boren is gone. I only met him once. They had an Irish wake for him.
Swquiro- I'll tap some of my smart friends and figure out how to put pictures on. The Jacob Wigle is the only signed one by him, my copy might interest someone. Also, I like my T. Oldham and the Faries rifle. The Rowan Co. NC rifle (Henry Bruner, p.105 of Whisker's "Carolina Gunsmiths, 1660-1870") has a sterling silver patchbox, and I have a photo of it on a CD, along with the Wigle rifle. (Smart wife of a knife-making gunsmith friend).

Herb,.... The "AMM" is the American Mountain Men,.... Badger and Brent both'er members from yore area. I heard about Brent's "pass'n" in the Moccasin Mail (news-letter) thet the "AMM" sends out to members.

Do either you or Deadeye know a fella by tha name'a "Siwash" from somewher's over in yore area of Utah?? (He "likes beer",.. and, he use'ta be a purty "good shot" :haha:)

Take care, and I also, hope to see some pictures of yore rifles soon!!
YMHS
rollingb/Rondo

I believe I've heard the name "Siwash" but thats all. Im a member of RMM and know most of those guys but not the AMM.
I know a Badger but he's from southern Utah so might be a different Badger. He's a very good shot and may like beer
also.

Back