• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Valley Forge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValleyForge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings from Valley Forge, PA.

I shoot a .40 18th. century flint repro I got up at Dixon's Muzzleloader last winter, a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol & a New Army 1858 Remington .44 revolver straight from the Cabela's catalog. Those newfangled cartridges will never catch on.

Wish my club had a barn, as I could probably hit the broad side of it, given my aged eyes.

I got into this from being an American Literature professor in what seems like a prior life (left in 1984). A kid in class asked me "Why didn't Deerslayer just shoot again?" and I said, "Well..you have to know something about 18th c. firearms."

The rest is history. But not literature.

-- Valley Forge

Welcome!

I was going to go into teaching, before I realized I hate children. Now I realize that would have been to my advantage. Live and learn.

There's quite a few shooters here who are long-in-the-tooth. Doesn't seem to matter much. No one can look over your shoulder as you shoot on the Internet, or at least describe it to your satisfaction. :winking:

Absolutely correct.

We're not old, just a higher caliber....

But as General Washington said to me that day....

Welcome to the fold, Valley Forge! I'm new to the Forum myself, but I already feel like I'm among friends. There's an absolute wealth of info to be found here. I also enjoy the humorous banter between Forum members (everything from subtle and witty to ribald and questionable). All of us here share a common bond. We are all anachronistic freaks who would rather load our guns one shot at a time and set them off with smoldering cords or chunks of rock than go buy a box of "ammo." Why we choose to do this is anybody's guess; Although, I think it has something to do with our chromosome structure. You see, whereas most people are either XX or XY, we are usually Fg,FFg,FFFg, etc.
Anyhow, welcome! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :RO: :thumbsup:

Ammo....? What is "Ammo"? And who took powder horn?

Thanks, Musketeer. It must have something to do with prior lives...

- VF

Welcome Valley Forge. "We're not old, just a higher caliber", I like that. Since I am not 50 yet, does that mean I should go buy a 45 caliber m/l for my next birthday? :hmm: Valley Forge, PA. Now there is an interesting place that is so close but I haven't taken the time to go visit. Stick around and tell us more.
Zman

Hello ValleyForge:

What's your pleasure?

Oh, and Maxiball took your horn, he need to sell it to pay for a $1.29 patch knife...

Figures he'd make a few bucks profit in the deal...

Yeah, it sort of brings new meaning to that old golf phrase "Shooting your age."

However, if I get much older, I'll have to shoot cannonballs.

My son went to school in Lancaster (F&M). Nice town.

-- VF

Back