• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabond

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I'm about as new to his sport as can be (havn't even bought my own rifle yet) but it's just one of those things I know I need to do. I've always loved the outdoors, and in the past several years have become enaoured with the mountain men and long hunters of centuries past. I've started carrying the proper acounterments while hiking and have studied their skills and wilderness lore exensively. I finally got around to taking the Hunters safety course last year and now the time seems about right to make the big buy. I'm partial to the style of the mountain and plains rifles (the shorter ones just appeal to me, probably because I like going light and compact.) and have shot my grampas hawkens (don't remember the maker or model), which is probalby another reason I like 'em.
I live in the Seattle area and have already picked out a hunting ground up north. My family has a cabin on a lake nearby and it's about a seven mile hike to where I've scouted, and I know of several goot camp sites in the area.
So there it is. Any advice or reccomendations from veterans is incredibly welcome.

Oh, and I plan on hunting blacktail and small game in the north cascades.

-Vagabond-

Vagabond said:
Hey everyone.
I'm about as new to his sport as can be (havn't even bought my own rifle yet) but it's just one of those things I know I need to do. I've always loved the outdoors, and in the past several years have become enaoured with the mountain men and long hunters of centuries past. I've started carrying the proper acounterments while hiking and have studied their skills and wilderness lore exensively. I finally got around to taking the Hunters safety course last year and now the time seems about right to make the big buy. I'm partial to the style of the mountain and plains rifles (the shorter ones just appeal to me, probably because I like going light and compact.) and have shot my grampas hawkens (don't remember the maker or model), which is probalby another reason I like 'em.
I live in the Seattle area and have already picked out a hunting ground up north. My family has a cabin on a lake nearby and it's about a seven mile hike to where I've scouted, and I know of several goot camp sites in the area.
So there it is. Any advice or reccomendations from veterans is incredibly welcome.

Oh, and I plan on hunting blacktail and small game in the north cascades.

-Vagabond-

Howdy Vag and welcome aboard amigo! I would think a TC Hawkin or Lyman GPR in 50 or 54 cal would do the trick if you do not have the $$$ to go custom. These calibers just lend themselves to deer size animals Ima thinkin. :thumbsup:

For a first gun probably a percussion cap gun .. easier to learn and shoot at first .. unless you just have to have a flinter. I own both, but the Flinter I own IS harder for me to shoot accurately so far. Just my two centavos ...

Davy

Welcome VB, glad to have you. Thompson Center makes a Hawkin that's is a great starter. It's more than that it's a great gun. A wee bit heavy for some, but durable and accurate. They are made very well and they are somewhat easy on the wallet.

Well I don't mind a bit of weight, my current rifle is a Mosin-nagant m44, which weighs in at around 7lbs.
I was leaning towards percussion just because they seem more reliable and easier to use, plus they tend to be cheaper.

Im looking at the St. Louis Hawken Rifle Kit
By Traditions, save a bit of money and get to finish the stock how I want. Just wondering how hard they are to put together, and if anyone has experience with the kits. i also figure the best way to get to know your gun is to build it yourself...

Vagabond,
Welcome to the MLF, glad to have you
with us. By all means if you have the time and
where to all, by all means go with a kit.
T/C is a respected Co IMO. I know you will receive help from our builders here at the forum
should you run in to any difficulties, and T/C
is just a phone call away. I'm with Davey on
starting out with percussion but I know there
are some die hard flinters that might disagree,but that's OK. Good luck. Visit often and contribute when you can.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Vagabond said:
Im looking at the St. Louis Hawken Rifle Kit
By Traditions, save a bit of money and get to finish the stock how I want. Just wondering how hard they are to put together, and if anyone has experience with the kits. i also figure the best way to get to know your gun is to build it yourself...

I won't get into a brand name discussion here but to say all of the mentioned rifles are going to be excelent choices.
As to the question of flint vs percussion. Yes it is a bit easier to learn with a percussion BUT, if a flinter is a possible acquisition IMO you would be doing yourself a big favor to start off with a flint, as it is much easier to go from flint to percussion than it is to go from percussion to flint.
Either way your gonna love it but be warned--black powder is highly addictive. :winking:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I kinda agree with the flint to percussion move...kinda historical too

what would be the upsides (and downs) of percussion and flintlock, or should I say, percussin vs. flintlock?

Most folks that switch from percussion to flint stay with flint. That said, I think you may still want to consider percussion to start, especially with one of the cheaper kits. A cheap percussion lock will fire the gun but some of the cheap flint locks won't give you reliable ignition. In other words if you want to use a flint you need to consider a quality product. If you build a percussion and take your time you can probably sell it and get all or most of your money back to reinvest in a good flint once you know what direction you are most interested in. Muzzleloading is a really great hobby, endless aspects to pursue. Good luck and welcome aboard!

I dont know about the rest of the the guys but if I were first starting out [I'm 72] I wouldn't buy ANY new muzzleloader.I'd look for a second hand buy,anything relatively inexpensive.Even an inline because most of them have power. Use it, have fun,practise using it.How the sights work.Read what it takes to shoot a muzzleloader.Ballistics.Ball verus sabots verus Minie balls.Buy a[url] notebook.In[/url] it put everything you like about the rifle,what you don't like,how it shoots at 13 yds.,25yds.,50 75 100.What you have to do to make it shoot a group.How and what you clean it with.Once you've done that start putting down what you like,what your looking for,who you think you are.[Daniel Boone or Liver Eating Johnson].This why you'll know what you want.Then buy the best you can afford. Andbob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the 'Forum, Vagabond. Whether you go percussin' :grin: or flint, a jaeger would be worh considering as they're generally fairly short-barreled and light; I was considering using one where I would have to backpack in several miles to hunt one area loaded with wild hogs (figuring I'd be hoofin' it with bacon AND the rifle on the way out). Ended up falling in love with southern mountain rifles, however, and will be hunting with a 42" swamped-barreled flinter instead. Dixie Gun Works carries a replica jaeger by Pedersoli. Whatever you decide on, have fun, be safe, and make some smoke!

Welcome Vagabond, I just got here myself! :grin:
The big brown truck left me a Lyman GPR (caplock) kit today. It looks like it's gonna be pretty easy to build and should make a nice rifle like you are looking for.

Back