• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaydenHF

32 Cal
Reaction score
I need help identifying this flintlock pistol. I was told it was made in the late 1700s or early 1800s, but I don’t know how accurate that info is. I did some basic searches to try to identify the proof markings but I couldn’t find anything. Thank you!

The gold tombstone shaped barrel mark look similar to Portuguese gun proof marks
h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgrMUnPPzec (Close up the http space.)
a miguelet gun with similar marks.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an estimate of what the value could be?
we would need to narrow it down better than we have already before a proper estimate could be made

also a proper appraisal can only be made by a qualified person physically inspecting the fire arm
if we can figure out when and where it was made it will get you in a ballpark

Looks sorta like a French design with the angle of the grip and length of the grip, but they tended to favor ornamental pommels. Not always....
Probably made for a French client if it isn't French in origin.

The Barrel looks Spanish - I bet Rudyard will know!!
I was thinking Austrian stocking & perhaps a Spanish barrel the Poincions suggest that . So Ile dig out Lavin & Kieth Neales books see what who it might be made the barrel s (pistols made by the brace there might be its mate out there yet
)Well the Prancing horse looks very Juan de Soto but the counter mark doesn't fit he was a disciple of one Salvador Cennaro in Madrid But no specific mark appear in ether Lavin Or K' Neale 1783 he is noted as a worthy maker to the king or court though he had problems with the appointment .
SO the Mark may not be genuine .Copies of Spanish marks as is not unknown' .If in this case its so it underlines that 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'. There where it seems cases where pupils used the masters Mark but how many pupils Juan Soto had I cant determine . Your Pistol looks good to me regardless .
Rudyard's .educated SWAG

Last edited:
Back